• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

235-75-15s offset?

steven89

NAXJA Forum User
So I have 235-75s on some 15x8" wheels and they rub when i have two people in the back, now i've replaced the rear springs with factory replacement ones. It still rubs and im wondering what would be the correct offset or backspacing for me to run this? It rubs on the front also, just when enter a driveway or similar kinda fast though. I compared em to the stock ones and it looks like they stick out a lil too much, seems like if i had em pushed in 2-3" more it would work, but id rather have a proven, educated answer.

Thanks in advance!

I used to run 235/75R15 mud terrains on stock 15x7 rims many years ago with no rubbing. XJ had a 2" lift and wheels where 5.25" backspace.

GermanXJ said:
I just put a Rocky Road Offroad 2" budget lif on it cost $170.00, and worked like a charm. I also used some factory replacement springs.

What size tires/wheels do you have?

Vince said:
I used to run 235/75R15 mud terrains on stock 15x7 rims many years ago with no rubbing. XJ had a 2" lift and wheels where 5.25" backspace.

would that be like 5" backspacing on 8" wheels then?

I have 30x9.5R15 right now. However I have a set of SS Thornbirds dont laugh they were free in 31x11x15 that are going on some Craiger soft eights with 4" backspacing.
Good luck

GermanXJ said:
I have 30x9.5R15 right now. However I have a set of SS Thornbirds dont laugh they were free in 31x11x15 that are going on some Craiger soft eights with 4" backspacing.
Good luck

are you running 15x8, or 15x7 rims?

I had the same rubbing issue w/ my 01 when I upgraded my wheels. I upgraded to soft 8's w/ 4.5in backspacing. Stock backspacing is around 5" or 5.25"...can't remember. I had 235/75/15. The problem is the new offset made the outer edge of the tire rub against the flare. There is actually a black trim piece that covers the gap b/t the body and the flare. Most of my rubbing occurred there. I removed the black trim piece and it solved the problem for the most part. I have put on a lift since and haven't had a problem. If I ever have new ossues, I am going to use a dremmel and carve out some of the flare in a curved shape where the tire would hit, giving it extra room. Try to remove the trim piece there which involves removing the flare and unbolting the trim piece.

dynorockcg said:
I had the same rubbing issue w/ my 01 when I upgraded my wheels. I upgraded to soft 8's w/ 4.5in backspacing. Stock backspacing is around 5" or 5.25"...can't remember. I had 235/75/15. The problem is the new offset made the outer edge of the tire rub against the flare. There is actually a black trim piece that covers the gap b/t the body and the flare. Most of my rubbing occurred there. I removed the black trim piece and it solved the problem for the most part. I have put on a lift since and haven't had a problem. If I ever have new ossues, I am going to use a dremmel and carve out some of the flare in a curved shape where the tire would hit, giving it extra room. Try to remove the trim piece there which involves removing the flare and unbolting the trim piece.

These are the wheels i have.
2007_wrangler_cragar_wheels.jpg

I cant remember what the backspacing was on these, but they rub just like you described. Are there any other options i could go for? What wheels would be ideal to have no rubbing? Im eventually gonna get a 3" lift but that wont come until i make it 4WD.. Ive already changed rear leafs because the old ones were drooping..

Thanks again!

My 1999's 235/75/15 BFGs didn't rub when I had no lift and flexed with no rear swaybar and the front disconnected.

steven89 said:
These are the wheels i have.
2007_wrangler_cragar_wheels.jpg

I cant remember what the backspacing was on these, but they rub just like you described. Are there any other options i could go for? What wheels would be ideal to have no rubbing? Im eventually gonna get a 3" lift but that wont come until i make it 4WD.. Ive already changed rear leafs because the old ones were drooping..

Thanks again!

The lowest backspacing I found was 4.5" I think. I bought them from 4wheelparts. I think I found some @ 4.5" backspacing at summitt racing I think also. There may be more options available now.

Some people paint their stock wheels and they don't look bad either.

You could put on whatever you want and trim or move the flares upward or remove them all together...bushwackers...other aftermarket flare. Many options...

irish636 said:
can u guys post some pics of 237/75's on ur jeep. i want to see what they look like. i think thats what im going with
this is all i have right now
IMG_0505.jpg

On my stock '96 i've got 235/75 R15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on American Racing AR-767 wheels with 4" of backspacing. Everything good when its just me, but with some back seat passengers the back tires hit the inside of the fender flairs on the bumps. Its a tight fit but they stuff in there pretty good when the axle flexes.

i ran 31x10.5x15s on stock 15x7 with no back spacing and it only rubbed at full turn.. (lots of fender trimming though) ;) now im running 15x8 rockcrawlers d-window with 4.5 backspacing and no rubs at all plus it looks pretty beefy!!

I have a stock 98 XJ with 235/75/15 Michelin LTX M/S on factory wheels. I've had it loaded with 5 people and gear and it doesn't rub.

Stock '98 with inverted leafs on factory 15x7's.

Sitting pretty:
DSCF1056.jpg

Flexed with rear sway removed and front sway still connected:
DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

My Jeep doesn't know what rubbing is. :shhh:

Back