• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need advice on shackle install...

white_elephant

NAXJA Forum User
im going to install my rear shackles on saturday...since yesterday i have been spraying the bolts with wd40....

any advice when im going to do this???

may be heat the bolt? impact gun? any other lubricant that is stronger than wd40? i already know how to take them out but im asking the easiest way to do it ....so nothing like what happend today will happend....

PB Blaster....seriously the Sh@ works....I just did mine 3 weeks ago ...breaker bar ...and some not so nice words...they came off but kicked up a stink ....with your weather ..rust shouldnt be too bad...

thanks but ...there is something you guys need to know...my xj lives in miami...loves sun and w.e but its from new york....

since new....and i only have 10 months with it...

I just put on the Rustys BB with shackle. The lower nut and blot arent to bad. Use the threads to bite into the bushing and use a ratchet until you get them all the way out(if you have a hitch it might get in the way of the bolt and you'll have to remove the hitch). The upper bolt is the hard one. It takes a breaker bar and a lot of work to get out. Mine made the most sickening popping sound for a bit but the nut inside held just fine. Before you put everything back together spray the bolts with WD and rub some of the rust off. Then use either some sort of grease or antisieze on the threads and everything willl go back together much easier. On the passenger side you might need ot relocate the exhaust tip or cut it back. Hope this helps!
Josh

jdurbach said:
Mine made the most sickening popping sound for a bit but the nut inside held just fine.

Same here, I was afraid something really bad was going to happen but it was just fine. Skip the WD-40 and get some penetrating oil to spray the things down with. I used PB several times a day for about a week. Get a breaker bar(just a few feet of metal pipe) and you'll be good to go.

one side came out easy for me, the other side the bolt was siezed in the bushing, had to end up cutting both sides of the bolt off, then the shakle fell right out!! So much fun!!

pb blaster. wd40 isn't that effective by comparison. clean up every bolt when you pull it out. they will prob be corroded and rusty. get some Anti-seize and smear that on nut and bolt threads before you reinstall.

On an 97+ do y'all take out the nutcert to get to the welded nut on the passanger's side to spray it with PB B?

I had to cut the stock shackle open with a torch and grind the sleeve off the top bolt. If your lucky enough to not break the nut off the frame, be carefull the sleeve dosent come with it and try to blow through the shackle box on the frame. Its a real messy cut through the rubber with a torch too.. Not to mention the fuel tank right there. I put a box fan in the back and opened the hatch so it didnt reek too bad. Good luck, a 20 minute install turned into a 3 hour ordeal for me.

thanks guys but im done with this since saturday it came out awesome and i took me 30 mins for both...did them at the same time...

will post pics and videos soon..

after this ocala trip :p

Back