• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think it's a neutral safty switch???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I am only asking a second opinion because it is not on my rig. '96 jx classic occasionaly won't start in park, but will if you jiggle the shifter, of pu t it in neutral.

yup...nss. And I would imagine that sometimes your reverse lights don't work?

steven89 said:
yeah, thats the neutral safety switch.. i took mine off, cleaned it, and put some electrical grease in it.. works perfectly now..

Edit - heres the writeup i used http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

GREAT write-up, thanks! In addition to my having to jiggle the tranny shifter occasionally when starting, I just found out last night that my backup lights aren't working. This should kill two birds with one stone. My Saturday project is now set in stone.

Just a warning. Dont break the NSS trying to pry it off. Remember it has to come straight off the shaft. A wide blade hunting knife worked great for me. Slip it behind the NSS and twist back and forth. The wide base disperses the pressure to help prevent snapping the NSS.

fubar XJ said:
GREAT write-up, thanks! In addition to my having to jiggle the tranny shifter occasionally when starting, I just found out last night that my backup lights aren't working. This should kill two birds with one stone. My Saturday project is now set in stone.
no problem man, this fix doesnt take long and is well worth doing. It fixes a lot of annoyances :D
smokeman said:
Just a warning. Dont break the NSS trying to pry it off. Remember it has to come straight off the shaft. A wide blade hunting knife worked great for me. Slip it behind the NSS and twist back and forth. The wide base disperses the pressure to help prevent snapping the NSS.
i just used a F'in big screw driver and it slid off :D

I used a putty knife and it worked great. No problems since. My symptoms were only loss of backup lights, no not starting problems. Just goes to show that each XJ is different. Good Luck.

Back