• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 29 spline axle swap 27 Powertraxx

XJTony

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys excuse my rudeness for not searching ..but I need some info ASAP ...I need to know if I can use a Powertrax Lock rite with 27 spline count in my 97 8.25 with 29 spline shafts...can I swap the axles with 27 spliners and install the locker with out any big issues...or are there some issues that need attention ....

Ive read that the shafts (27)need to be grinded down ..bla bla ....anyone who has done this please post up with the results or issues ....Thanks in advance ...

You will need a 27 spline carrier, 27 spline axles, 27 spline side gear thrust washers, to be able to use the 27 spline lock rite.

You should also use new ring gear bolts, and have the gears re set up when installing the new carrier.

...Hmmm...thinking its best to buy a locker for the 29 ...such a pisser ...100 bucks for a Powertrax...with axles...by the time I add up all the wrecker parts ..time ...just be shy of a new one...Im in Canada so ..the cost is alot higher ...300 and change U.S ...here ...500+ bucks. Thanks Canman ...Photo..

You wouldn't want to downgrade from 29 splines to 27 splines and add a locker anyways. If you hold off, Aussie is releasing a 29 spline 8.25 locker that should hit the shelves in April, and they usually run about $240 new. They are constructed a bit better than the no-slip or lockrite.

cal said:
You wouldn't want to downgrade from 29 splines to 27 splines and add a locker anyways. If you hold off, Aussie is releasing a 29 spline 8.25 locker that should hit the shelves in April, and they usually run about $240 new. They are constructed a bit better than the no-slip or lockrite.

I hope this is true... Havent they been saying that for the last 2 years?

And hopefully Superior come out with a 'super' kit, and some better gears that Eric has been talking about.

they've been saying that for years. Rather than pony up 400 bux for a no-slip, I tossed the 29 spline 8.25 and got an XJ 44 with an aussie and discs. D44, aussie, discs, diff skid cost less than the no-slip for the 8.25!

CanMan said:
I really dont see why they would.. because a new carrier and 29 spline shafts to upgrade isnt really that much....

true, but combine that with the cost of a locker (no-slip 420ish, or detroit full carrier-600-800(just a wild guess)), then setup, and it's expensive.

If you're not running huge tires, lock the 27 spline and carry a spare shaft.

If you're going to upgrade, find an XJ44, or an 8.8.

mjma said:
true, but combine that with the cost of a locker (no-slip 420ish, or detroit full carrier-600-800(just a wild guess)), then setup, and it's expensive.

If you're not running huge tires, lock the 27 spline and carry a spare shaft.

If you're going to upgrade, find an XJ44, or an 8.8.

Stock shafts, welded, and a diff guard, cheap.

I know a few who wheel locked 27 splines with 33's and 34's, and have never had one problem.

A XJD44 or a 8.8 would cost about the same as a polished 8.25.

$400 for a XJ44 or 8.8, $450 or so for a full locker(never really looked), and gears, plus setup, might run a bit more than the 8.25.... ? :dunno:

But in turn, you are getting a better rear end with the XJ44 or 8.8...

Im only goin to run 32's max....Im running brand new BFG M/T's at the moment ...so not too worried about locking a 27 spline...anyone know a fore sure way of knowing if its a open or limited slip dif? Without taking off the cover ...!! I jacked it up and both wheels turn at the same time ...but Ive heard people say the same thing ..then open it up and its an open dif...?????

CanMan said:
Stock shafts, welded, and a diff guard, cheap.

I know a few who wheel locked 27 splines with 33's and 34's, and have never had one problem.

A XJD44 or a 8.8 would cost about the same as a polished 8.25.

$400 for a XJ44 or 8.8, $450 or so for a full locker(never really looked), and gears, plus setup, might run a bit more than the 8.25.... ? :dunno:

But in turn, you are getting a better rear end with the XJ44 or 8.8...

It's definitely a toss up. For me the XJ44 worked because no regearing, and I put an aussie in it, and discs.

Back when I thought that my 8.25 was a 27 spline, my original plan was to lock it and wheel it till it snapped. Hell, I have friends who wheel with locked D35s...you just gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. But once I realized, the hard way, that I had a 29 spline 8.25, and then on top of that I a leaky pinion and I was assuming probably a bad pinion bearing. Tearing into something like that would have been much more expensive.

Anyways, back on task here, If I had a 27 spline 8.25 in my XJ and no good leads on a cheap easy swap, I would definitely lock it up and wheel it until it broke. Having a spare shaft around would be key. But the cost of converting the 27 to 29, IMO, just swap in a better axle with more aftermarket support.

XJTony said:
Im only goin to run 32's max....Im running brand new BFG M/T's at the moment ...so not too worried about locking a 27 spline...anyone know a fore sure way of knowing if its a open or limited slip dif? Without taking off the cover ...!! I jacked it up and both wheels turn at the same time ...but Ive heard people say the same thing ..then open it up and its an open dif...?????

Well, if you have the window sticker still, it would indicate if there was an LS in the rear end. I'm assuming that you've got a 95 or older XJ, right? If you have a 96, like I do, I wouldn't be so sure that you've got 27 spline....a lot of people make that mistake, and that is why there are a lot of open box 8.25 27 spline lock-rights on for sale forums for cheap.

Another way is the diff tag, if it's still on there. That would tell you if it had LS. Sometimes if it came with LS there would be a sticker in the glove box telling you so. Or you could call your VIN into the dealer and ask what options it came with.

Other than that with a factory LS, it's kinda hard to tell if it's LS without opening it up. I suggest opening it up and checking the spline count if your not 100% before you buy your locker!

XJTony said:
Theres a sticker on the pass side of the axle with numbers and smaller print says TRACK LOCK ....mean anything ....?

That would mean that you have a trac-loc limited slip differential.

Back