• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd starting problem

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
first off, my '98 cherokee has a cracked exhaust manifold which has been cracked for a few months now. Yesterday morning I went out to my car and it started fine. But then yesterday after work(around 5pm) i tried starting the car and it wouldnt start. It took 5 or 6 cranks before it started. A few seconds after it started, it immediately died. It then started back up just fine and i began to drive it home. On the way home, while driving the car would sputter... like it wanted to die on me. I gave it gas and it stayed running till i got it home. Then it did the same thing today, Except this time i didnt have any trouble after i finally got it started after work. What are yall's thoughts?

Beachmonkey6 said:
first off, my '98 cherokee has a cracked exhaust manifold which has been cracked for a few months now. Yesterday morning I went out to my car and it started fine. But then yesterday after work(around 5pm) i tried starting the car and it wouldnt start. It took 5 or 6 cranks before it started. A few seconds after it started, it immediately died. It then started back up just fine and i began to drive it home. On the way home, while driving the car would sputter... like it wanted to die on me. I gave it gas and it stayed running till i got it home. Then it did the same thing today, Except this time i didnt have any trouble after i finally got it started after work. What are yall's thoughts?

cracked exaust will burn up your valves if it's cracked bad enough.a bad manifold is like you breathing in through a straw and out through your mouth.you are'nt getting enough air to run the engine but your blowing to much out cuz of that crack.I've heard of using the 99+ manifolds as they tend to crack less.

Back