• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Locker for Dana 30 in 1997 XJ

COTim

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put a locker in my front axle. I would like it to be as driveable on the street as possible, but heavy duty enough to handle rock abuse. I do NOT want to have to pay to have my gears set-up by a mechanic. What do you suggest?

If I use a PowerTrax or an Aussie locker, so I need to have the gears set-up to complete the installation, or can I just swap out the carrier, put in the locker, and button it back together?

Thanks.

Any of the lunch box lockers will be un-noticeable when in 2wd and will not require you to have your gears redone. There generally not as strong as a full locker such as a Detroit, but if you’re considering not re-gearing then you probably aren’t running a tire big enough to really be all that concerned with there strength. What size tire are you running?

I'm running 35" MTRs. Rear currently has a Detroit Locker in my 8.25, just looking for something to add some help to the front.

i got a lockright in right now, and im running 35's, has worked great for me, im looking to get rid of it, because im planning on going full width, if you are interested PM me

lunchbox lockers in the front are a little noisier but as someone mentioned, they are a good option if you dont want to re-adjust your gears.

The Lock-Rite or Aussie are a good choice.....you dont need to pull the carrier to install either (if you have stock gears)....either will be as strong as the rest of the axle (stock axle shafts, stock u-joints, etc)....If you are buying new. the Aussie is the cheaper of the two....with either, the hardest part of the job is to pull an axle out...not hard really...minimal hand tools and a BFH.....

I'll repeat what's posted above... if you don't wanna have the gears re-set-up, your only options are the lunchbox style lockers... Of those, the Aussie works the best.

J

ahhh, actually in a Dana 30 you have to pull out the carrier to install a lunchbox, unless you want to grind 2 or 3 teeth down on the ring gear and then it can be done in the Jeep.

green50gt said:
ahhh, actually in a Dana 30 you have to pull out the carrier to install a lunchbox, unless you want to grind 2 or 3 teeth down on the ring gear and then it can be done in the Jeep.

NOT /w stock gear ratio's, IIRC. I know /w 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 you do for sure.

Go Aussie

As posted above you should be able to snake it in with 3.73's and it should pretty much fall in with 3.55's. If you do have to pull the carrier, and split the ring gear to install just make sure you index or mark the ring gear to the carrier so it goes back in the same place. Also make sure you get new ring gear bolts, some locktight and make sure to torque them to the proper specification.(60ft/lbs IIRC)
Here's a link to well written install article http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99710

Ryan

I just installed a lockright today. 4.10s. Definitely has to come out unless you have a BFH and want a broken ring gear!!! Seems quiet so far. Well worth the $$. I had a truetrac but got tired of 1 wheel drive if I was flexed out.

If your running 35's i would upgrade the axles to 30 spline at the same time. I like the arb just because you can turn it off.

Back