• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how about this axle??

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well i decided the demand for bolt in dana 44s, makes them pretty hard to find, and when i do have the luck to stumble across one they have too high of a price. so what do yall think about this axle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-73...73346815QQrdZ1

i have 35s, and want to lock it, and not have to worry about it. i figure the way my jeeps been built up this fast in the past 7-8 months, id have the dana 44, and eventually be running tires too big for it anyways.

anybody know width. could i just get some wheel spacers for the front to even it out??:yelclap:

You'll have to narrow that axle... You wouldn't want to run spacers in the front, plus you'd never find a spacer wide enough to do the job...

Spacers are not your friend, they wear out ball joints and wheel bearings so fast that it isn't even funny, not to mention the fact that they are like 250 a pair...

That's a great deal on the axle, but you'll be a few hundred bucks more into it by the time you narrow it and get new axle shafts...

Narrow the axle yourself, or get it narrowed....

Just my .02

Easiest thing to do is get an 8.8 out of an explorer and get new perches welded on. It has the same bolt pattern as what you have now, is close to the same width, and the later ones comes with disk brakes. If I hadn’t found such a good deal on my D44 that’s what I would have done.

i have a 1/2 ton ford 44 in the rear of my xj, i don't know what it came out
of it is 61 or so wms, it is 5 on 5.5

i had the guys at drivetrain industries here in denver provide me with spindles and outers for a waggy 44 so the pattern matched the rear

spacers are available from performance wheel and tire also in denver for $55 each

i have lots of guys in denver that run spacers with no issues

a waggy a 78 waggy 44 rear will bolt into an xj, i had one for a while

the spring pads are exactly where they need to be
the waggy is a bit narrower than the stock d35, 58.5 wms but it will work with some spacers

the 8.8 is also narrower and will need spacers

I wasn't aware that Ford used a rear 44 EVER.

rockhounds4x4 said:
i have a 1/2 ton ford 44 in the rear of my xj, i don't know what it came out
of it is 61 or so wms, it is 5 on 5.5

rockhounds4x4 said:
the 8.8 is also narrower and will need spacers

Not many people actually run a spacer with this axle as it's only a inch narrower. I know I wouldn't

kewlkatdady said:
Not many people actually run a spacer with this axle as it's only a inch narrower. I know I wouldn't

Depends on tire/wheel width and backspacing. My spare was a 33x12.5 TSL mounted on a stock wheel, and it wouldn't even fit on the stock width XJ44 I had in the rear, let alone something a little narrower. With 4" backspacing it wasn't an issue though.

You are right, there could be several variables.

vetteboy said:
Depends on tire/wheel width and backspacing. My spare was a 33x12.5 TSL mounted on a stock wheel, and it wouldn't even fit on the stock width XJ44 I had in the rear, let alone something a little narrower. With 4" backspacing it wasn't an issue though.

Back