• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker flares

xjordie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee with a 4.5 inch lift and i wanted to add some fenderflares on to give it a little more flex. The only problem is that they only make them for 84-96 cherokees. I will probly by them but i wanted to know if anybody had any trouble installing them on ther 1996 and above years on there jeep. It doenst look like to much extra cutting but any info would be apprectiated.

20 seconds of searching, minor trimming to flares required
raneil said:
CRW_7070.jpg

kubtastic said:
I hope your searches lead to this conclusion: Don't buy them unless you legally have to get some fender flares!

X2

If you ever plan on doing any real wheeling then dont get 'em, they like to leave 8 beautiful holes in each of your fenders when the cheap plastic gets ripped off.
Sure they look good but I've always hear bad things about them.
Save yourself a few hundred bucks and get 4 rear tj flares.

MuddinJeeper said:
or just relocate the OEM ones higher up, if you're having an issue with clearance.
X2 Do a search on 53Guy. He just did a good write up with lots of pictures. if you like the stock look. Most of the guys that wheel hard :flame: Bushwackers. There not cheep, and will probably be left on the trail in pieces.

MuddinJeeper said:
or just relocate the OEM ones higher up, if you're having an issue with clearance.
X2. Do a search on 53Guy. He just did a good write up with lots of pictures. if you like the stock look. Most of the guys that wheel hard :flame: Bushwackers. There not cheep, and will probably be left on the trail in pieces.

pottenger said:
X2 Do a search on 53Guy. He just did a good write up with lots of pictures. if you like the stock look. Most of the guys that wheel hard :flame: Bushwackers. There not cheep, and will probably be left on the trail in pieces.
10-4 on that!

I opened my front fenders up 2 inches all around. I installed Flexy Flares from Pacer Performance. It takes a little work (bending sheet metal) because they don't surface mount. That is, if you want the 4 inch ones. The smaller ones are surface mount. They are 1/4 inch rubber and won't break. The good thing is that a set of the two of them only cost $45 from J.c. Whitney. I supported mine with clamp bars similar to what the factory ones did. I have pictures if you give me an e-mail address.

I have a 94' jeep cherokee with 33x12.50 on 15x10 with 4" backspacing, and I was wondering what the best fender flare would be. Either Bushwacker or Rusty's? Or something else? :dunno:

How do the TJ flares mount to the sheet metal? And will these rub with the tire and rim package that i currently have through out the range of the axle?

I have bushwacker flares. I guess I didn't realize people thought they were junk. I've beat on mine pretty good and they don't have any cracks or anything.

I don't scrape them on rocks or anything. Although they do rub up along some trees and get smacked with some branches from time to time.

el_roy1985 said:
I have bushwacker flares. I guess I didn't realize people thought they were junk. I've beat on mine pretty good and they don't have any cracks or anything.

I don't scrape them on rocks or anything. Although they do rub up along some trees and get smacked with some branches from time to time.

I've had a set on for over five years. Drug'em through all kinds of rocks and trees. only knocked one off twice. Put it back on with no issue. I love the looks of mine.

Some of the people that bash them, have never even owned them. Go figure

Yeah people love to bash things they dont own or do stupid things to them and wonder whats wrong. ANY flare that you scrape aginst a rock is going to come off I have had no issues with my bushwackers in 2 years of wheeling yeah they come off if you rub aginst a tree big deal screw them back in. They have some scrapes and gouges in them but they still look and work fine...

Ask MarkWNC about them. They are junk on any serious 'wheeler. End of story. I think he must have had to put his back on a dozen times before he just said "Forget it!" and left them off. I witnessed them being ripped off on more than one occasion, and they only took relatively minor hits when they came off. That was enough for me to know that I could spend my money better elsewhere. On a street or mild trail rig, yes, they look great, and will keep you legal. That's about the only advantage they seem to have...

i just couldn't justify spending the money when a sawzawll is free. and well trimmed fenders imo look so much better than bulky plastic shit.

Back