• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EXHAUST VS. DRIVESHAFT

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I cannot figure out why but my front driveshaft keeps mangling my front pipe (from manifold to I-pipe) This will be my third front pipe,I've replaced all mounts motor and trans. I do have a 4.75" lift in the front : coils and 1.75 inch spacer, re non heavy duty trac bar. Nature of the beast?? We were looking at it and maybe when the passenger front suspension is compressed it's just enough for the driveshaft to make contact with the pipe with the lift in it. The pipe is tucked in as much as possible and all the hangers are intact and in good shape.Thanks

Have you added more bump stop? If your track bar is longer than stock to adjust for the lift you have, when you compress the drivers side, the axle will be farther toward the passenger side. So the drive shaft is too close to the exhaust. Add a couple of hockey pucks, and the axle can't come up far enough to hit the exhaust.

It's been a long day, so if I got that backwards, forgive me.:twak:

Have you actually seen the DS hit the exhaust? I dont mean to be smart but you do know the exhaust comes pre dented from the factory, right? There is a dent in the down pipe for clearance. If you fix this factory dent, it may keep coming back.

Yeah driveshaft is definitely hitting the exhaust, ( shiny fresh gouge marks). No I didn't add any bumpstops and I had to cut off the factory bumpstop (dammit,don't think about things before I start hackin) to fit the spacer on so I'll have to make something that mounts to the axle tube. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

bcmaxx said:
Yeah driveshaft is definitely hitting the exhaust, ( shiny fresh gouge marks). No I didn't add any bumpstops and I had to cut off the factory bumpstop (dammit,don't think about things before I start hackin) to fit the spacer on so I'll have to make something that mounts to the axle tube. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

go get a couple rubber hockey pucks and drill a 1/2 hole in the middle, then drill the coil bucket and tap it for a half inch bolt (or smaller it doesn't really matter) and then get a really long bolt for whatever size you tapped and bolt about 2-5 to the axle(depending on lift and tire size) so that it doesn't hit anymore!

Back