• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SS TSL radial on highway

Can anyone tell me how the superswamper tsl radial (around 33s) perform off road and on the highway compared to the normal TSL. I am looking for a set of tires for my xj but i do alot of highway driving and alot of mudding does anyone know of a good tire thats alright in both of these areas?

I have the SSR's which if i wouldn't of got the deal I got, I wouldn't of bought them. Mainly because of cost. It's around 230 for one 33 inch tire. Next set though will be the TSL radials. Good price and I know a few people that run them and like them. My SSR's are super quiet for looking so aggressive. In fact I wish they were louder. They perform good offroad and are fine on. I haven't had them long enough to notice a lot of wear. I'm going to assume that the TSL's are about the same as mine. They look very similiar.

you do realize any Swamper will wear out fast on the street. i run Tsl's, but i would imagine the Ssr's would be better on the street as far as traction in the wet and snow because of siping. i have seen them perform well off road, but they wear out fast. Except for those goofy Thornbirds, most Swampers are great off road, no so good on road. but you shouldn't expect an all terrain to do well off road either (unless it's bone dry). i would love to see all the mud tires available on different jeeps and show up at a common run and see what happens as far as performance off road. be tough to get equally equipped rigs though.

I had a set of 32X10.50 TSL radials on my YJ. They do very well off road in just about any conditions and hold up to just about anything. Mine were tough to balance but did eventually balance out. They sucked on ice and packed snow but were great in powder. They did flat spot when cold but would round out quickly when I started driving on them. Tread wear wasn't bad for what they are. When I got rid of them, they had about 20000 miles on them and were about 40%. I probably couldve gotten another 10000 out of them. I rotated them regular, 5 ways.
FYI: I did have a problem with one of them that scared me though.
Coming back from a wheeling trip one evening, I noticed a fairly bad vibration. I thought I threw a weight or something. I couldnt find the problem but didnt see anything obviously wrong so I kept driving it. I had those tires for sale at the time, when I sold them I removed them from the Jeep and noticed that one of them had a big split and bulge down the center of the tread. It was probably a couple miles from just blowing open. It wouldnt have been pretty. A couple months before that I read a post where the exact same thing happened to someone else except it blew out on them. They flet the vibes start then shortly after, the tire tread blew. Heres a thread about that. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730846&highlight=32X10.50+TSL+radial

Last edited:
Ive had my 33x10.50 tsl radials for about 10k now and they havnt seemed to wear down nearly as fast as i thought they would. There alright on road, not a lot of traction when its wet, but when its dry its fine. Off road is amazing. The difference from the MT's i had and the TSL's is night and day. I can go thru almost as much mud in 2wd now than i could in 4wd before. They cleanout awesome too, just ask any of my friends that follow too close behind when im in a mud hole.

does anyone know if the compounds for the radial and bias TSL's are the same .. You would think that since they put the r&d dollars into making a radial for on road performance that maybe they used a better compound for running on the street...

i ran 32s on my tj , rotated them every 3000, miles 5 way , when i took them off i had about 20, 000 miles on them. I had about 80 % left on them. Blew out sidewall on one though. But also blew out a sidewall on my 36s tsls bias too. now i run sxs

My buddy got 50K documented miles out of 35" SSR's on his 1 ton dodge with a v-10....about one weekend a month he would pull a tri-axle flatbed with a Sand Ranger up to Silver lake.(about a 4 hour trip) I've had 3 sets of Bias TSL SX's on the street, never kept them long enough to know for sure what would happen, but one set I had on for about 10K miles on a YJ, and you could hardly tell they'd been driven on. I am sure terrain, and different regions migh effect this...But it really all comes down to how you take care of your tires...and driving style.

Back