• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drip...drip...drip...exhaust

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
It wouldn't happen to be normal for the seals around the muffler to leak water when its really really really cold, would it?
I think that pretty much says it all, theres water leaking out from the rear oval seal of the muffler, no significant rust.
Thoughts?
On a different note, is it safe to smoke while changing the oil?
:flame:

If it's really cold, there will be more condensation from the exhaust.

As far as smoking while changing the oil, um I wouldn't.

There can be traces of gas in the oil if things are running rich and fumes in general could ignite.

I know some folks do, but I wouldn't if it were me. :smoker:

In the mornings, or on a cold start, you'll see water coming out of tail pipes, untill the engine gets up to temp. This is just normal condensation being formed out of the exhaust pipe.

This is, along with the condensation that builds up inside the engine, is why it's important to get the engine up to running temp before shutting it off, and why short short trips are murder on an engine. That condensation in the engine is what creates the sludge. Not to mention, not getting the water burned out of the exhaust only speeds up the rust process.

Ohh, and I wouldn't smoke while changing your oil.....just like I wouldn't smoke while pumping gas.....even if i was a smoker.

DBenn said:

tell that to the guy at the 10 minute oil change, he was dropping ash in the collection pan...it was too cold to do it myself and I was overdue...

Yeah, there will be more condensation, but should it leak out like that??

EMSJEEP said:
tell that to the guy at the 10 minute oil change, he was dropping ash in the collection pan...it was too cold to do it myself and I was overdue...

Yeah, there will be more condensation, but should it leak out like that??
Its not surprising to see quick change oil/muffler shop employees smoking while working on vehicles. Its not likely to cause a problem, but it is always a possibility around vehicles.

If water leaks out of the joints in your exhaust, not only out of the tailpipe, your exhaust is not sealed properly. Ideally things would only exit the exhaust pipe through the tailpipe not the joints, but the only damage water leaking from a joint will do is rust the joints faster and create more exhaust leaks.

Is it leaking from the joints or from the wep hole in the muffler. There is a small hole by design in a lot of mufflers to let condensation out to prolong its life. Nothing to worry about.

I will 2nt that, don't believe me! go by a new muffler and then fill it up with water and see how fast it drain on your feet.

This is normal.......leaking out of a pipe joint is....NOT

Flash.

RandyD71 said:
Is it leaking from the joints or from the wep hole in the muffler. There is a small hole by design in a lot of mufflers to let condensation out to prolong its life. Nothing to worry about.

its not even a pipe joint, its the seal on the rim of the muffler...I do not see a hole, it looks like it is dripping out from the seal...
10-4 the rest, it just didn't look right to me...

Seems odd, but smoking around gasoline is not a problem. The head of a cigarette just isn't hot enough to light up gasoline. That said, I am still careful smoking around gas. This issue was covered on a Myth Busters episode on Hollywood myths. Think they measured the temp of a burning cigarette at around 350 and it takes a temp of like 550+ to ignite gasoline. Leaving a trail of gasoline and throwing a cigarette on it just does not work like you often see in movies. I wonder though if vapors might ignite at lower temps or if a good breeze could cause the cigarette to burn hotter causing ignition.

Smoking anytime is "dangerous":idea:

Really, wow, I never would have thought....I always loved that scene in Payback where Mel Gibson lights the trail of gas on fire with his cigarette and blows up the car from like 40 feet down the road....oh well:explosion

I'll be on the lookout for muffler rusting, I think it may be well on its way down that road anyway

liquid gasoline actually isn't all that easily ignitable. i didn't believe it at first either, and then another mechanic threw a lit cigarett into a bucket of gasoline and the cigarett just went out. no fire.

fumes on the other hand can be relatively easily ignited. and anytime there is open gas, there are fumes. so i just don't even take a chance of smoking around open gas. but otherwise, i smoke while working on anything else.

I noticed my jeep leaking water around the muffler when it was really cold outside as well. I'll keep an eye on it before replacing it.

It took me 35 of smoking to learn that I shouldn't smoke when changing my oil...or any other time. So I quit, feel much better, get more stuff done, and spend the extra cash on stuff that I enjoy and keep around.

Back