• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 question

XJsport23

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I wanted to regear my 8.25 to give a little better milage with my 31's, and someone told me that a 8.8 from a junkyard would be better because the gear ratio is better for my new tires. Should I do this? I know theyre stronger, which is good because I will be going up to 33's at some time and will need a new axle anyway. Mounting the 8.8 will be no problem, I have a welder and can get perches on it, I just am wondering if this is the best route. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, 8.8's are a good axle. Have one myself. They were offered up to a 4.10 gear ratio so if that is what you are going to be changing over to than that is the axle for you. Don't forget to change the front gears also:D

Kim

How would 4.10 work with my 31's, and how am I supposed to tell which axle will have 4.10's? I know they were offered in different ratios, so I would need to know that.

There should be a little tag on the diff (attached to one bolt on the diff cover), it will tell you the ratio.

31's and 4.10 gears is a good setup.

I would think that the 4.10 ratio would be good for your tire size. Usually on an 8.8 there is a tag on the diff. cover that tell you the ratio. If it is not there than do what I did, take off the cover and get the numbers off of the ring gear and call a gear shop like Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Kim

cal said:
There should be a little tag on the diff (attached to one bolt on the diff cover), it will tell you the ratio.

31's and 4.10 gears is a good setup.

Beat me to it.

85xjwoody said:
I would think that the 4.10 ratio would be good for your tire size. Usually on an 8.8 there is a tag on the diff. cover that tell you the ratio. If it is not there than do what I did, take off the cover and get the numbers off of the ring gear and call a gear shop like Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Kim

Another way to determine ratio is spin one wheel around once and count the number of times the pinion rotates. If it has a open diff prevent the other wheel from spinning first.

Most common you will find is 3.73 gears . Make sure you get one with disk breaks. As far as how low can you go? As low as you can find. 4.10 is harder to find and some yards want more for them. It's kinda a misconception that you must get back to stock RPM. This is not what you want. By they time you add arodynamic drag (lift from suspension and tires) and extra weight, stock RPM is way too low and you will bog. 8.8 is also a very easy rear to swap gears in if you use Ford Motercraft gear sets.

XJsport23 said:
How would 4.10 work with my 31's, and how am I supposed to tell which axle will have 4.10's? I know they were offered in different ratios, so I would need to know that.

Check the door tag for AXLE 42 Open 4.10 or D2 Limited Slip 4.10. You can also use a 4 bangers D30 for 4.10's in the front.

As in a 4-banger XJ?

Also, I'm assuming I'm supposed to get an 8.8 off an explorer, not a Ranger or full-size, am I correct?

Ok, sounds good.

Damn I just got this thing, I'm 16, never had a car before, and I'm already getting rid of my axles. I'll never have money until this Jeep is out of my hands.

What about the front, should I replace that too or is regearing easy enough? Doesn't that run about 1000 to get done? If so, I'd rather just put in another axle if its as easy as the back.

XJsport23 said:
What about the front, should I replace that too or is regearing easy enough? Doesn't that run about 1000 to get done? If so, I'd rather just put in another axle if its as easy as the back.

Now you have just opened up a whole new can of worms.:D

I think it depends on your driving and what you will be doing. For me I would go with regearing and some good axleshafts.

Kim

mecompco said:
Just in parts, I am now up to roughly $2,100 in my 8.8 build--it did not turn out to be quite as thrifty an option as I had hoped. It should be fairly bullet-proof with my 31's, though.

That is pretty pricey. What is the list of mods done to it? Mine was pretty cheap and all brakes are new.

Kim

I think total cost for my 8.8 installed is around $450.00 including the cost of the axle. Did all the work myself including new discs, pads, calipers, rubber brake lines, M.O.R.E 7" antiwrap spring perches, homemade shock mounts and paint.
I can see spending a few thousand on trussing, gears, and a selectable locker or if you had to have somebody else do the work, but this swap can be done for a reasonable price.

Kim

Back