• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6x9 speaker boxes in the back of an XJ

smellhole

NAXJA Forum User
hey... I want to mount these 6x9 speaker boxes in the back of my XJ possibly on the pillars behind the rear doors.Do y'all think that would work? Ideally, I'd mount them in such a way that they'd be readily removable.

I was thinking maybe with threaded rivets?

Rear passenger comfort isn't a concern. I don't ever have any.

If the music blaring in the backseat riders ears isnt an option fr you... here's one... I made a shelf out of 1x4".. and bolted these down... never wet... never bounce... clear sound straight at your head... (dont have the rig anymore, or id get you a better pic)

IMG_0303.jpg

I just buckle the 6x9 boxes into the seatbelts (my 89 has lapbelts). When ZI do have passengers I just stack them and buckle them into the center lapbelt,works like a charm!! I don't think it will work with shoulder belts .

I just installed some quality 5 1/2" Pioneer speakers in the factory locations all around and bolted down a sub box in the back. Sounds good, no hassle. I lose a little bit of cargo space, but I'm not planning on hauling anything beyond a trail box and/or cooler anyhow.

Ran it like this for a while:
stereo1.jpg

Then I wanted the trunk space back, so I got creative with the rear doors:

speaker1.jpg

speaker2.jpg

speaker3.jpg

Depending on your speaker choice, the rear window will even still go down all the way (mine did). It sounded great and let me still have decent sound when I went doorless in the front.

I did away with my boxes as well and put my 6x9's in the rear hatch. Ground down the fibreglass mounts for the factory speaks to clear the magnet and cut holes in the interior trim to fit. Mounted the 6x9's to the trim and extended the speaker wires so it's easier to install and remove the whole shebang without pulling on the leads. Looks real clean and sounds great. Ended up having to add some threaded inserts to the hatch to fasten the interior trim to as the additional weight of the 6x9's works the factory pegs loose over time.

Got 5 1/2's and tweets in the front doors too. Mounted the tweets in the flat part of the plastic door handle trim which turned out real slick.

jordo said:
Got 5 1/2's and tweets in the front doors too. Mounted the tweets in the flat part of the plastic door handle trim which turned out real slick.

If I'm understanding you right, I think I did the same thing:

stereo3.jpg

Can't have power locks/windows to do that, but it certainly works awesome.

Back