• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS removal tip

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a little techniquie I have developed and used to remove NSS's that has worked well twice for me. YMMV. Spray the flat shaft with WD40 or your favorite penetrating oil. Unbolt the NSSadjuster nut and the big nut on the flat shaft. Thread a piece of lockwire or rebar tie wire behind the NSS. Form a loop with the two tag ends so that you have one big loop of wire. Using a hammer or some other heavy device, place the loop of wire just below the head of the hammer and twist a few times to form a loop. Hold the hammer like normal and start a hammering motion that should be stopped short by the wire connected to the NSS. Slowly increase the force you are using until it pops free. Be sure that the wire is as close to the shaft as possible. This will prevent torquing the switch and should pull more less straight out along the shaft. feel free to email me if you have questions or if I did not explain this good enough.

Sounds like a good tip. When I did mine, it wasn't too much of a pain. I know a lot of people have a hell of a time with them. Thanks!

The first one I tried to remove I cracked the rear of the NSS but that was prying with the screwdriver method. Ever since the first one other two I have removed I used this method and it has worked like a charm and caused no damage. I'm waiting to see if other people have the same luck removing theirs without damage. Just trying to help since soo many have helped me.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of the "slide hammer" approach you used. I usually advise using some flat stock behind the body of the switch (for the love of Gawd, don't pry on the nut!) and it's worked well for me several times.

Might have to give this a go next time I have to pull an NSS...

Back