• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console wiring

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
Found a couple of XJs with overhead consoles in a junkyard yesterday. I was wondering what kind of wiring would be involved for the compass and thermometer. Also I was wondering about the overhead light wiring. I saw several lights that had the main light but also the individual map lights. Is there any extra wiring involved for those map lights? I didn't want to trash the entire headliner just to find out so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

Thanks for the thread. I always search, don't know why I didn't this time. Mine is a 91 and I can't remember exactly what year the junker was, somewhere between 95-98. I'll probably be back over there tomorrow so I'll just start pulling it out and follow the wires. Thanks.

It's a different console for the 97 and up. You may luck out with most of the wiring. My 96 has the wiring inside the jeep, just not under the hood/undercarriage for the temp sensor by the front bumper. Be sure to grab that. That part is kinda pricey.

I've got one from a 91 with temp sensor & a pig tailed wiring harness for $40 if you are interested. I don't know if it works, and it does need some TLC, like being reupolstered.

all the wires you need run down the pass "A" piller and to the junction below the glove box. There are several different types of plugs depending on year but you can mix and match wires to make current plug work.

Also get the temp sensor from the front behind the grill and the bracket off roof that holds the back of the OHC on, its rivited so it needs drilled.

Depending on the year you're pulling it from, you might have to drill the brackets or not. The 91 I pulled my console from, I just had to unscrew the brackets and take them with. The console, I actually didn't need any of the wiring from the donor vehicle. I just used power from the existing over head lights and also from where the keyless had been. I supplied constant power from the passenger side visor instead of running a new line down to the drivers side area. Simple to do and much easier than trying to figure out what wires you need to plug into. As for the temp sensor, I just ran a two wire setup from the console, down the A pillar and out to the sensor behind the bumper. Works like a charm, all the lights work as they should, the compass works perfect as does the temp.

The only thing that I didn't do was a dimmer, as it's not really the bright anyway.

i need help w wiring if any one knows what wires are the power and neg for the compass and the thermo also the wires that go to the sending unit...i am not getting into stock wiring because the jeep is a 91 the console is out of a caravan like a 98
i got all the lighting figured out no prob but cant figure out the gadgets (the comp could be bad also i have no idea)
any help wouuld be appreciated

Back