• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i want to lift my xj an extra inch..

white_elephant

NAXJA Forum User
im sitting on 4.5 now and i want to go to 5.5 to fit my 33s...because i really dont want to trim..

what are the best coil spacers and shackles to put ??

thanks

Spacers are all about the same. Just get Poly ones. As far as shackles go RE and TnT make some pretty sweet ones. Make sure you have your bumpstops set correctly too. With no trimming and 33's you will prob get rubbing if you flex a bunch.

Andrew

Yeah I agree with the other guys, unless for some reason you are dead set against trimming I would definitely do it. I'm in the same boat right now, I was looking to bump up another inch from 4.5 and that extra inch is pretty costly.

i know thanks...but yeah i have sye and i order brake lines already ...for somereason my cherokee looks so nice that i dont want to trim...

aszaunmi said:
Spacers are all about the same. Just get Poly ones. As far as shackles go RE and TnT make some pretty sweet ones. Make sure you have your bumpstops set correctly too. With no trimming and 33's you will prob get rubbing if you flex a bunch.

Andrew

thanks...how do i set my bumpstops correctly??

I run 35's on my 99 XJ with a 3.5" RE Super-Flex kit, RE .75" coil spacers, RE .75" shackle, fenders trimmed and plenty of bumpstops with no trouble at all.

Drive the Jeep up on to a trailer ramp or RTI ramp until the compressed tires are about to hit the fenders. Measure the distance from the bottom of the existing bumpstop to the top of the axle where it is supposed to hit and then add an inch to account for the bumpstop compressing. That is how much bumpstop you should need. Here is a great write-up I used to bumpstop mine. Good luck!

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks guys :D...

i order the teraflex spacers front and rear 1.5 of lift should be here tomorrow...

any suggestion on how to install this???

the front seems easy but the rear...help please...."pictures if possible"

carlton989 said:
I run 35's on my 99 XJ with a 3.5" RE Super-Flex kit, RE .75" coil spacers, RE .75" shackle, fenders trimmed and plenty of bumpstops with no trouble at all.

Drive the Jeep up on to a trailer ramp or RTI ramp until the compressed tires are about to hit the fenders. Measure the distance from the bottom of the existing bumpstop to the top of the axle where it is supposed to hit and then add an inch to account for the bumpstop compressing. That is how much bumpstop you should need. Here is a great write-up I used to bumpstop mine. Good luck!

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

thanks for this ...it looks easy and cheap to do...but they told me i could strap the axle to limit its flex...what do you think??

ya you could strap the axle to limit the down travel as well. I have found that with both of my XJ's that when properly bumpstopped, it does nto allow the axle to travel down more than necessary

the rear is cake. Jack the Jeep up and set the frame on jackstands right in front of the front leaf spring bolts. place a floor jack under the rear axle and jack it up a little. unbolt the shackle bolt from the unibody and then from the leaf spring. lower down the axle to make room to put on the new shackle. install the new shackle and then jack the axle back up and bolt everything back together. Good luck and post up pics when you are finished!!!!!

carlton989 said:
the rear is cake. Jack the Jeep up and set the frame on jackstands right in front of the front leaf spring bolts. place a floor jack under the rear axle and jack it up a little. unbolt the shackle bolt from the unibody and then from the leaf spring. lower down the axle to make room to put on the new shackle. install the new shackle and then jack the axle back up and bolt everything back together. Good luck and post up pics when you are finished!!!!!

If all goes well...
When putting the shackle back together while up on stands, dont tighten every thing down just yet. Get the jeep on the ground then torque the shackle bolts.

white_elephant said:
i know thanks...but yeah i have sye and i order brake lines already ...for somereason my cherokee looks so nice that i dont want to trim...

I havent put my rear flares back on yet, but you can see here I trimmed the front 1.5 inches or so, and reinstalled the factor flares .. it does not look far off from original. It gives me enough room to stuff 35's, you could easily do 33's with far less trimming.

dsc00016.jpg

Before you lift another inch, look at picking up some drop brackets. 5.5" with shortarms is a really bad ride and hard on your gear. You can often find drop brackets with braces for ~200 used here. It will also push your front axle forward a hair, so the 33's wont rub the rear of your front wheelwell (you can see how close it is now).

-C

what are they? how do they look? where can i buy them?

yeah it rubs when i turn....and i know i need to upgrade my lower and upper arms but im not wheeling by now until im done...im just doing everything by parts....:repair:

The drop the frame end of your control arms down about 4", to restore ride quality, give you better control arm angles, etc. They will take your jeep from riding like a dumptruck to riding like a cadillac, and are good up to 7-7.5" of lift. Retail is like $350 or something (and well worth it!) but you can find them used in the $200 range if you watch.

Some naysayers here will tell you that you shouldnt run them, that they will hit rocks all the time and get you hung up. Anyone who's actually run them will tell you differently. Read up on them here:

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

You can buy them from any Rubicon Express vendor here, I suggest Loose Nuts Enterprises, but there are several other excellent vendors.

-C

Back