• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee DIC in Jeep Cherokee

1995XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
This question is kinda confusing, but hear me out.

29d9_12.JPG

I had an idea to take the DIC out of a grand cherokee...the older models that showed the overhead of the actual jeep underneith the radio, cut around it, install it under the bezel under where the factory clock is (the big square on the XJ) and then put the dash bezel back on to cover up all the cuts around this top roof diagram of the grand cherokee...now here comes the fun part...

Drill with a dremel tool little holes for LED's where each accessory light is on the truck...to literally see a light light up when you hit a switch. For example, hit the off road light bar lights, all the LED's on the roof on the mini grand cherokee would light up. If you have rear view lights, rear lights would light up. Like a diagram of every light on the truck, and weather its lit or not.

Had this idea about 10 years ago...rode on a bus that showed a diagram of a bus overhead, and LED's wired into every point on the diagram bus where every light is.

What do you think of this?

Last edited:
Damn good idea, gonna take some super creative wiring.. But it's definately do-able, just take your time running each wire... Let me know how it turns out.

Anybody know where i can get one of those plates? I think it was a spacer to take the place of the actual DIC, because i see all these grand cherokee's all over the internet with the DIC's.

If i can find one of these plates, i'd do a total technical writeup + pics.

AlabamaDan said:
What's a DIC. (Don't go there!)
I'm pretty sure that for purposes of this discussion it's a Digital Information Center...

Would have been nice of the OP to explain just what we were looking at in the pic and what his intent was. :shrug:

it is my understanding you can put the whole dash and console of a grand cherokee into a cherokee. not sure of the years that are compatible though.

the early 93 zj's used AW4's with either np231/242. i wonder if they would have similar wiring...

1995XJSport said:
Anybody know where i can get one of those plates? I think it was a spacer to take the place of the actual DIC, because i see all these grand cherokee's all over the internet with the DIC's.

If i can find one of these plates, i'd do a total technical writeup + pics.
Might try looking at a junk yard that has a few ZJs.

Correctly referred to as Vehicle Information Center

KSXJ said:
it is my understanding you can put the whole dash and console of a grand cherokee into a cherokee. not sure of the years that are compatible though.
ZJ's are wider than XJ's won't fit. Not to mention none of the interior electronics are compatible.

cklaus said:
the early 93 zj's used AW4's with either np231/242. i wonder if they would have similar wiring...
Has nothing to do with the VIC

Last edited:
Seems more like a novelty mod to me. Do you really need and LED (other than the one on your switch) to tell you that your light bar is activated? :)

no...i just want to put the cheap plastic layover thats over what would be the DIC...see that white outline of a jeep? its useless. I wanna put LED's in it.

Back