• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't back'up a incline

papacan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90',4.0l,auto,Renix mpi,I had to turn around,pulled into a 15 degree down slope drive & when I put it into rev,it pick-up the slake & then started sputtering,like oveloading,& I just barely got out,& then at home again in my drive,Ha! the fuel filter that's been under my seat for 6mo,not that. If you put it into neaut or park it idles smooth & rev's up great & straight ahead it climbs fine? need your input,Thanks! one more thing the more gas you give the worse it gets untill it starts popping out the ext.

langer1 said:
I sounds like the pickup tube is off your fuel pump.
would this not be true in forward as well,now its doing on flat ground in Rev only. Checked tranny 1 pint low,did compete tune-up 3mos ago,is there any wires around tranny that can be interfeard with when shifted into Rev. I'm disabled & its hard for me to crawl around under it!

How much gas was in the tank? Not sure of the XJ's specifically, but on some vehicles the baffles in the fuel tank may not hold the gas very well in their specific area. If your pickup is at the rear of the tank and the baffles aren't working, it would starve for fuel when the gas sloshed forward, such as when backing up a hill. Shouldn't be an issue at all when the tank is over 1/4 full.

My 90' did the same, I put it in reverse it bucked and sputtered, would idle OK in reverse. When we replaced the flexplate the prob. was gone.

papacan said:
would this not be true in forward as well,now its doing on flat ground in Rev only. Checked tranny 1 pint low,did compete tune-up 3mos ago,is there any wires around tranny that can be interfeard with when shifted into Rev. I'm disabled & its hard for me to crawl around under it!

Now it sounds like water, with the backend high water would start to be picked up, now it's high enough it's getting pick up all the time.

87manche said:
loose bellhousing/flexplate that walks when the trans is in reverse?

That was my thought as well. If the flexplate moves too much, the CPS sensor won't work and the engine stumbles. I'm not sure why most of the posts about this say the symptoms are worse or more noticeable in reverse.

Pull the inspection cover and check the flexplate bolts and look for cracking. Gently pry with a screwdriver and look up near the crank with a flash light. Also check that the bellhousing bolts are tight.

Back