• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Remove AX5 Shift LEVER

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
I have an AX5 manual 5 spd (2WD version). The boot that covers the shift mechanism is torn. This is the boot that caps off the trans to the outside, NOT the boot that mounts to the floor of the car.

The only way to replace this boot with a new one is too separate the 2 parts of the shift lever. There are no set screws or clips I can see on the lower or upper part of the lever, how do you separate these 2 pieces?

On top of the transmission there is a round metal bushing inside the shift tower, which is under the rubber boot. Push down and twist this metal bushing and it will pop out. I can get it out pretty easy with my thumbs by pushing and twisting. That's easier than taking off the shifter knob on top.

That will get your shifter out of the tranny but If you need to seperate the top part of the shifter from the lower part of the shifter there is a special tool for it. The top of the shifter locks in on a square shaft. I got mine seperated with 3 screwdrivers. You have to push them up to make the pieces that hold it in move towards the outside of the shifter. Let me know if you are not clear on how to seperate the two. I have some pictures somewere of the two pieces.

Thanks guys, I've already removed the entire shift lever from the trans. The boot (the 1st one, covering the hole on the trans) is badly torn, I'm going to change the oil, but with a torn boot, you know the new oil is going to get dirty quickly.

I have to seperate the 2 parts of the lever, to be able to fit a new boot on on the lower half. I can't imagine how you would get a new boot onto the lower section without seperating them, pulling it over the top half would stretch it so much, the new boot would have to tear as well. As well, the Prevous Owner JB welded the Shift Knob on to the end of lever, so I can't get it off, at least NOT without breaking the knob.

Thanks Ghost, when I got the whole lever out last night and was able to look at that joint from the bottom up, I saw the tabs, I figured it was much like you said. Force the tabs out and slide the top half off.

Yea, I'm still having trouble. It appears that two of four tabs in the upper part of the shift lever have some sort of ridge that locks into the grooves in the square shaft on the lower part of the shifter.

As I force the screw driver down the tab to push it outward, its stopped by the ridge on those 2 tabs, I can't get the tab forced back enough to disengage the ridge from the groove.

What am I doing wrong?

IIRC there are three of them. I could be wrong. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll break one of mine apart and look at it.

Well, mine has 4 tabs, but 2 of the 4 tabs "appear" to have a ridge that extends out of them and prevents me from driving the screwdriver down far enough to get the tab back and disengaged.

Rick Anderson said:
Well, mine has 4 tabs, but 2 of the 4 tabs "appear" to have a ridge that extends out of them and prevents me from driving the screwdriver down far enough to get the tab back and disengaged.
Yea IIRC there are 4 but only 3 "engaged" on mine. It has been a couple years since I replaced mine I'll have to seperate it and look again.

Time to bring back the dead...

I am in the process of the same project. The rubber that holds it all the pressure in is to dang stiff. IF i can even get screwdrivers in there its so tight that the lower section wont pop out.

Someone offered pics and details, care to still share them?

Time to bring back the dead...

I am in the process of the same project. The rubber that holds it all the pressure in is to dang stiff. IF i can even get screwdrivers in there its so tight that the lower section wont pop out.

Someone offered pics and details, care to still share them?

Try something thinner than a screwdriver, some have posted luck using hacksaw blades or shim material. Maybe your GF fingernail file?

Back