• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help needed before monday morning! d44

blibra

NAXJA Forum User
attn: Please read! new jeep owner!

hello, i just picked up a 87 4.0 4x4 xj. aw4, np242, dana30, and dana44 rear. i am taking it in to les schwab monday morning and am planning on having the rear drum brakes done. i want to eventually go to rear discs so im not wanting to waste money on the drums. what all do i need parts wise to convert drums to discs on a d44 rear?
This is my first jeep so im not so sure what all is interchangeable. Ive searched, but Ive had a hard time finding anything on the things going on with it.

-Its idles high randomly between 1500 and 2000. i pulled the two sensors on the t.b. cleaned them and replaced them, still does it. switched them out for cleaner ones from u pull it. butterfly and spring are great. checked connections also. did exactly what i was told online and it didnt fix it?

-my battery was dead this morning. no lights were left on, doors, radio etc. i was driving home tonight and the dome lights were flickering on and off. i slammed all the doors. still on, went around a corner and turned off? ideas? decent battery, and system is charging.

- at almost full lock steering the 242 t-case makes a loud violent bang sometimes. it feels like its binding up on something then snaps free. like a chain could be slipping. i know for sure the u joints are not binding. any ideas? on a non disco30-242 can i get the front driveline to temporarily stop turning the front diff in 2wd? in the air it still spins the front.

-high pitched whine coming from the rear interior when running. is the the fuel pump going? it changes with rpm.

Ive had this jeep for about a week now and i need it to be reliable and last for a month or two until i can start messing with it. this is my first jeep so if anyone has any links or ideas i would greatly appreciate it. thanks, brandon.

On the high-idle I'd probably look into cleaning the Idle air control valve.

As for the battery issue, it sounds like a short or loose connection. Check all your cables around the battery and alternator. when it died around the corner did it just kind of cut out and come back to life when you straightened out? If so that would sound to me like fuel pump stuff, mine does it.

past that, when running see if its on 14+ volts, if not its not charging. if it is pushing 14 volts running, but dying down when not running, there's a draw or the battery is done.

as for the noises, check your U-joints...

the whine is the pump, ive had some seriously noisy ones in the past, that never died.

as for your rear disc brakes...you might look into ZJ grand cherokee brakes, i think with some modifications you can get them to fit.

On the high-idle I'd probably look into cleaning the Idle air control valve.

- i cleaned and tried the 2 iacs i have. still does it. one is longer than the other tho. both are renix 4.0.

As for the battery issue, it sounds like a short or loose connection. Check all your cables around the battery and alternator. when it died around the corner did it just kind of cut out and come back to life when you straightened out? If so that would sound to me like fuel pump stuff, mine does it.

-its never cut out. the dome light is intermittent. i think this is what drained it. the charging system is great. battery is sucked quickly. randomly.

as for the noises, check your U-joints...

-ok. ill look at em again. i just want to make sure its not inside the t case.

the whine is the pump, ive had some seriously noisy ones in the past, that never died.

-ok. thanks again. i will search for the zj rear discs swap.

Last edited:
Back