• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear sway bar

2000pacherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys and gals
i just stuck a 2" spacer lift on my 2000 cherokee which went quite well. then i put on the new wrangler five spoke wheels and 31 " tires i got on and found out the wheel spacing is different from my stock rims. now my rear sway bar ends just rub the inside of my tires ( not cutting them just rubbing ) . now my question is because i'm a newb,,, is can i get rid of the rear sway bar altogether with out hurt anything being a daily driver?
thanks for any help.
danny

Yes you can. The XJs with UpCountry package didnt even come with a rear swaybar.
How wide are your tires. If they are 31X10.50s, they shouldnt be rubbing.

take it off throw it away and never look back

I removed my rear swaybar about 4000 miles ago. I drive up to 80 mph on the highway regularly without problems. It's still an XJ, so don't try whipping around turns (even with a swaybar), but it doesn't make a noticable on-road difference. I also have a 3 in. lift and 31's.

hey gang
yeah i just searched it on here and alot of people have trashed the rear sway bar so i guess i have a lil more work tomorrow. thanks gang.
danny

yeah just toss it bro

remove it quick...b4, it cuts the tire because it will, the second you go sideways (witch is often 4 me but i got 10 mos of icey roads to play on-gotta have some reason for enduring -20 degrees or worse)

I've heard the only reason to keep it on is if you tow anything, like a camper or a boat. Anyone else hear this?
========================================
I tow a lot and it's defiantly a plus if you tow heavy and a lot. If you put a big load on the roof it can come in handily to. On a stock Jeep running empty you may be better of without it.
Take it off if you don't like the way she handles put it back on.

tupton said:
I've heard the only reason to keep it on is if you tow anything, like a camper or a boat. Anyone else hear this?

I tow with my xj, with a 6.5" lift and no rear swaybar. You notice its not there. I'll be building a rear swaybar disco system for it .. one of these days..

I don't know what happened to my front swaybar =). I don't have front's in, and you can notice the body roll, but for the most part, I don't drive around corners fast. I even tried to see how easy it is to tip over my XJ with 4.5" kit and no sway bars in an empty parking lot, and you'd have to be in a hurry to roll it.

i have driven a number of lifted and non lifted xjs, not a one has had a rear sway bar. Mine handles fine, doesnt handle like a lotus Elise, but then a Elise can't wheel worth a shit either. Perfectly safe with out rear sway bar.

IMHO it will affect your ride, I dont understand why everybody here says it doesnt, mine came without a rear sway bar, the body roll was affecting my handling specialy if you brake and turn and once its out of control and it got really dangerous & it isnt that nice.
Mine is stock after i installed the sway bar
1) minimal roll even under hard braking
2) slightly rougher ride
3) cornering speed has noticably increased faster than many sedans
4) less flex in the rear.

its up to you to decide if its a DD and you dont wheel than try to keep it. I m lifting mine soon (full traction LA), i trying to figure out a DIY rear sway disco.

LOL... nice. I think I saw a video of that once...

:eeks1:

Tenament said:
I don't know what happened to my front swaybar =). I don't have front's in, and you can notice the body roll, but for the most part, I don't drive around corners fast. I even tried to see how easy it is to tip over my XJ with 4.5" kit and no sway bars in an empty parking lot, and you'd have to be in a hurry to roll it.

Back