• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocated the vaccuum canister

Jeff in VA

<---respect
I was doing some cleanup on the front end today, and decided to finally move the vacuum canister from where it’s stock mounted inside the bumper. I was originally going to put it inside the engine bay back on the passenger side corner above the blower motor but that’s where I’m going to route/mount the manifold and whatnot for the OBA. I had the grill off and noticed a good place to stick it behind the grill on the side of the radiator support. It worked out great. I have the small “ball” canister, but it seems that there would be plenty of room to mount the “football” shaped canister in about the same area. Here’s some pics.

Jeff

Moved from the bumper to here:

moved.jpg

Profile….plenty of room:

profile.jpg

Routed the hoses thru:

hose_routing.jpg

Can’t even see it ;) :

cant_see_it.jpg

It may just be me, but I think that my radiator is more of a rectangle than yours, and I have the football shaped vacuum canister. I dont think it would work on mine, maybe its different on MJ's

Yeah, mine's a 2.5L

I forgot that the 4.0L guys don't have any room to play with there. But you can put that thing anywhere it'll fit...just run the vac lines to it.

Jeff

That's where most put it, back along the passenger inner fender or firewall area. But that piece of real estate is reserved for OBA stuff:spin1:

Jeff

I put mine where the old over flow used to be when i had a closed cooling system.

the one on my 96 is twice the size of that one and i put it next to the overflow canister for the radiator.

Is there any particular reason to move it?

I had the bumper off last summer to straighten it , but reinstalled the vacuum bottle in the same stock location after I was through.....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:

I had the bumper off last summer to straighten it , but reinstalled the vacuum bottle in the same stock location after I was through.....

if you cut up your fenders it is more vunerable to mud dirt or possibly damage or if you get a new bumper

MrShaft696 said:
if you cut up your fenders it is more vunerable to mud dirt or possibly damage or if you get a new bumper

I'll second that. cut my fenders and bumper, went wheelin, got out to see the thing hanging for it's dear life. POS. i wire tied it back to the bumper, lol.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:

Is there any particular reason to even have it? What purpose does it serve other than being another potential source for a vacuum leak causing a high idle?

As far as I can gather, it stores vaccuum via a check valve, to operate the HVAC doors. If they loose vac signal, they default to defrost only. Not a big issue for those that don't daily drive their MJ/XJ's, but it's friggin' 9 degrees here this AM (which pales in comparison to some other parts of the country currently, but is a record for VA nonetheless:D ), and those dash vents come in mighty handy....

Jeff

Can any one confirm the canister is for the HVAC doors??

I don't have the ball shaped one, mine looks like a huge PILL about 8-9 inches long and 5 inch diameter. Its under the bumper on the passenger side.

Now I have removed the vacuum stuff for the old D30 axle. I now have a non-vac D30HP. Also the vac stuff is removed from the old t-case.

Someone mentioned the bottle was to activate the axle.

I'm sure I will find my answer in the coming weeks as I swap the motor and trace everything down. But right now with the new bumper installed, the can is just hanging there looking stupid.

I moved mine to a box in my garage...

and my HVAC works fine. Also, I haven't been able to find any other ill effects.

I did read one post that referred to football shaped cannisters with multiple lines, but mine only has one line.

'92 XJ with 4.0 liter

I have a 90 XJ and it is kinda football or pill/capsule shaped. It has I think 4-5 lines coming out of it. Goes up into the front in front of the battery.

I'm sure when I remove the battery and wellll the MOTOR, I should be able to trace it all down.

I would like to remove as much of the vacuum junk as possible to cut down on the leaks and such that could effect the motor.

Back