• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Daddy Offroad Tie Rod performance

BlueXJ1013

NAXJA Forum User
Does this tierod eliminate some of the slop in the stock steering? I am trying to tighten up the steering and so far ive added an OME stabilizer and steering box brace, will this tie rod help achieve that, or will I need to replace the whole setup in order to feel the effects? thanks.

BlueXJ1013 said:
Does this tierod eliminate some of the slop in the stock steering? I am trying to tighten up the steering and so far ive added an OME stabilizer and steering box brace, will this tie rod help achieve that, or will I need to replace the whole setup in order to feel the effects? thanks.

what size tires are you running? if youre feeling slop the first place to check is to look for movement in either end of the track bar when you turn the wheel, my money is on that your frame side TRE of the track bar is loose or worn out.

The tie rod itself will not tighten up steering. It's just a more solid tie rod to keep from bending. Take a look @ your tie rod ends. what type of steering box brace are you using? Check the security of the steering box & bolts & track bar as well.

Rob

Its not the trac bar because I just installed a TNT tracbar about a week ago. I am running 34x12.50 trxus m/t's. So replacing the tie rod ends will make the most difference without replacing the whole setup? BTW the steering box brace is built into my front bumper, its 1/4" steel.

BlueXJ1013 said:

Check all 4 tie rod ends. If your XJ has hi miliage on big tires, I would replace them. When the TREs get worn the tie rod rotates a little before knuckles actually move, resulting in a dead spot and lose slopping steering response. You could go crossover, or Currie HD, or ORO Uturn, but that stuff can be pricey.

I have the Big Daddy Offroad Tie Rod because I bent my stock tie rod on the Rubincon last year, running 35"s with an ARB. It is a nice heavy duty unit, can be ordered with new TREs and it uses jamb nuts instead of the weak adjuster clamps. And it was only $69 if I remeber correctly.

Back