• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats leaking

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have something leaking coolant from around where the lower radiator hose connects to the block. I thought it was the connection itself, old hose and all. But I replaced it and it still leaks. And in the last day it has started leaking like a really bad. What else is in that area that could cause it. And I left my xj book 12 hours away or I would just look it up. Water pump is my only guess at this point. Any help would be great. Thanks

Some of it is going down the hose, but mostly its running down the front of the oil pan. So if its coming out the weep hole how do I stop it? and it drains pretty much all the collant. And the water pump is my first thought. Maybe its time to go buy another xj manual.

replace water pump real soon before it gets worse
not hard job I recently did mine (look into high flow?)

Last edited:
Any recommendations on which pump and where to buy? High flow would be nice too. And I know search. But limited comp access hinders that.

I'd recommend a new pump from car quest or napa, I don't use napa because they keep bankers hours and are never open when I need stuff. Have a good razor scraper handy too for getting the old gasket material off.. And I don't use rebuilt pumps because they seem to fail too quickly..

I normally would do this myself. But I dont have any time to do so because of time schedual. How much do you guys think something like this would cost to get repaired, minus the parts of couse. Just labor. Sucks not having time to do it yourself. I hate trusting places. Oh well.

Pogiboy said:
I normally would do this myself. But I dont have any time to do so because of time schedual. How much do you guys think something like this would cost to get repaired, minus the parts of couse. Just labor. Sucks not having time to do it yourself. I hate trusting places. Oh well.

IF you take it to a independent shop, Im guessing around 2.5-3.0 hours total. The stealership should charge around the same, but will be more $$$ per hour than a local one. Only took me about 45 minutes the first time I did mine. If you take it to a shop, ask about parts and labor warranties.

Back