• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 superior super 88 axle kit

Ky Lineman

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if any one is running this axle set up?I got mine the other day and just curious if any one has had any problems installing the collar that goes on after the bearing

Ky Lineman said:
Just curious if any one is running this axle set up?I got mine the other day and just curious if any one has had any problems installing the collar that goes on after the bearing
The collar is TOUGH to get seated. Press the bearing on first all the way to the shoulder on the shaft, then press the collar on. You'll need a 20-ton press. My 12-ton wouldn't put the collar on all the way.

Hey guys appreciate the information. I put the bearing on first and then proceeded to the collar. Busted a piece of solid stock steel trying to press the collar on using 20 ton press just wanted to check with some one else to see if it was supposed to be that tight before I proceeded to go any further

Ky Lineman said:
Hey guys appreciate the information. I put the bearing on first and then proceeded to the collar. Busted a piece of solid stock steel trying to press the collar on using 20 ton press just wanted to check with some one else to see if it was supposed to be that tight before I proceeded to go any further
It's got to go on straight. It's a TIGHT fit, so if it's crooked it could be REAL tough. Another thing to look at is make sure that the axle shoulder doesn't have any sharp edges to catch the collar. How far is it on? Past the shoulder?
If so, shove it on there!

every thing is straight even miced the coller to see if there was a taper to just doesnt seem that it should take 20 tons of force to seet that collar that is a hole lot of pressure

Ky Lineman said:
every thing is straight even miced the coller to see if there was a taper to just doesnt seem that it should take 20 tons of force to seet that collar that is a hole lot of pressure
yes it is!
I thought I was doing something wrong also. I actually talked to the guy that "invented" the kit, and he's the one that told me to press the bearing on seperately. That collar will take some serious grunt to put it on. I tried it with my 12-ton and bent the crossbar.:shocked:

I called superior today they where not very helpful maybe because it was friday but I done just what you said when I started the process even though the instructions said to do it all at once it just made more since to me to do it seperate I will put it back in the press and mash the crap out of it iwas just a little concerened that some thing else might give

I bought a new Harbor freight 20 ton press heated the collers a little and it was still all the press could do to press them on all the way. Don't forget this kit will make your axel wider. They say it take's 2 hours but plan longer. Once you have the bearings and collars pressed measure to make sure they are equal. If you get the torch coller on cocked the ford tractor mechanics cut them off and start over. Cutting and grinding the tubes flush will take a while because it needs to be flat. Read the directions close and don't cut off the lip they tell you to leave. I just put my drive shaft in tonight on my 8.8 and need to rethink shock mounts so I havent tested it yet.Good luck

Yep, Its an old thread, but I'm bringin it back.
I started to put my super 88 together today and encountered a similar problem. Which has me wondering, is the "inventor" from Germany by any chance, He LOVES his press fit. First, the C-clip eliminators had .004 to .005 press fit into the axle housing which is an absurd number for forged steel into a steel tube & flange. I called up superior and was on hold for 5 minuts and the guys responce was "yea, the one I put together had alot of press fit, itl work." I have not put them in yet but i did sand one thou of press out of the housing.
My main problem is the bearings onto the axle. Its binding up a 25 ton press! The first one was tight puting on with the bearing and collar but the press had no problems. So onto the next one. Nice clean shaft with Sunnen press fit lube on the axle, bearing and collar. It started off nice and then it went POP and refused to budge. yep its on straight. Any thoughts?
Other comments on the kit: It was missing the 10 bolts to use to hold the tires on (they were closed today when I doubble checked their website to see if i was supposed to have them or not). Before I bought this kit I read a review on the install for this kit and it said that it came pressed togehter from Superior, did anybodys come like that or did they just do that so they could get a good review in a magazine?

~Alex

I wanted to buy this kit this in a few weeks. It sounds like it is going to be difficult to change the bearings when they need replacing. I'm going to stay with the stock C clips for the time being until I start hearing some more positive feedback on this kit. Hope you have some luck with Superior.

I got it all put together. The boss took a look at it and said that it was on too far to back it off now. The press gave a few more grunts and pops but it is in place now. There was just too much pressfit on the collar. One of the guys I work with said that he intalled the bearings on a set of Strange shafts for a Ford 9 and the collar was about half as wide and only took 5 tons of pressure to put on.
Vince, its a good kit if you measure everything beforehand or if you do not have your own press it shouldnt cost much for a local shop to do.

~Alex

Mine came with instructions, I would say they left a few things out of the instructions. One thing to keep in mind is that the lug bolts (they are bolts and not studs) must be put on the axle before you put the backing plate on and install it. Superior forgot to put the bolts in the kit so I did not install them when I put the axle together. They shiped a set out to me at no charge when i called them about it. When I was installing the axle I had to take the shafts out and put the lug bolts in.
Is anybody else running this kit and alloy rims? The lug bolts are just long enough where I will drive it, but short enough to make me nervous, did anybody have something like this happen?
I might just remove the bolts they gave me, then install some real studs and doubble nut them in back and locktite them in place.

~Alex

alex22 said:
Mine came with instructions, I would say they left a few things out of the instructions. One thing to keep in mind is that the lug bolts (they are bolts and not studs) must be put on the axle before you put the backing plate on and install it. Superior forgot to put the bolts in the kit so I did not install them when I put the axle together. They shiped a set out to me at no charge when i called them about it. When I was installing the axle I had to take the shafts out and put the lug bolts in.
Is anybody else running this kit and alloy rims? The lug bolts are just long enough where I will drive it, but short enough to make me nervous, did anybody have something like this happen?
I might just remove the bolts they gave me, then install some real studs and doubble nut them in back and locktite them in place.

~Alex

Before you go to all that trouble, you might want to try some ET lugnuts. How much thread engagement are you getting now?

I'd call it about 1/2 inch maybe a little more of thread engagement.

~Alex

I called today and asked about how much thread engagement they recomended on the lug bolts, since I know I don't have enough. A represenative told me that I should have specified that I was runing alloy wheeles, even though they have no mention of it anywhere. Just a heads up for anybody else who is looking at buying this kit.

~Alex

Back