• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooper tires...discount source?

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for the Discoverer STT, 30x9.5x15. Anybody know where to get cooper tires at any kind of a discount? I went to the only local 'dealer' -an independent alignment shop who doesn't even stock any tires, orders them for you- gave me a price of $645 bucks for a set of 4 30x9.5x15's! $645 dollars! No way. There has to be a discount source somewhere. ??

"$645 dollars! No way. There has to be a discount source somewhere. "

Is that a mounted and balanced pricetag? I looked at the price on line and at about 130 each, x 4 is $520, leaves 125. 30 something per tire? sounds a bit high, but I spent that on a set of bridgestone duelers after shopping around quite a bit. Includes lifetime rebalance and rotating..

i don't know if there is a pep boys in your area. but their definity dakota m/t are the same thing. they are a rebadged discovery stt for $99 a piece. i got a set of 31's for $460 out the door. they have been nothing short of outstanding! check out the link i found

http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2314780&rapid=354266&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2093904831&ref=%2fpepboys%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2314780%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapid%3d354266%26prvid%3dPepBoys-070101SVC

mk20rockeye said:
i don't know if there is a pep boys in your area. but their definity dakota m/t are the same thing. they are a rebadged discovery stt for $99 a piece. i got a set of 31's for $460 out the door. they have been nothing short of outstanding! check out the link i found

http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2314780&rapid=354266&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2093904831&ref=%2fpepboys%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2314780%26pagenumber%3d1%26rapid%3d354266%26prvid%3dPepBoys-070101SVC

They look pretty similar...and I know Cooper makes their tires. How are they on-road?

citRon said:
They look pretty similar...and I know Cooper makes their tires. How are they on-road?
They suck! I bought 2 sets and gave them both away!

I'm running Cooper LT245 75 16, very happy with them. They are holding up much better then any passenger tire for my towing. It is a truck tire that will lasts for ever and has not hurt the MPG ether.
But they do suck in mud and snow, any mud at all. Too hard of rubber for ice and snow and too small of grove for mud.
If your looking to do much offing I would look for a tire with more of a open grove and softer rubber.

badron said:
I'm running Cooper LT245 75 16, very happy with them. They are holding up much better then any passenger tire for my towing. It is a truck tire that will lasts for ever and has not hurt the MPG ether.
But they do suck in mud and snow, any mud at all. Too hard of rubber for ice and snow and too small of grove for mud.
If your looking to do much offing I would look for a tire with more of a open grove and softer rubber.

hmmmm.....interesting. Light snow, light off roading is what I'm looking for. I like the Goodyear MTR's also, but they're pretty pricey as well. I've had BFG AT's on a YJ, wasn't impressed with them at all, and want something a little more aggressive.

mk20rockeye said:

Those are 'definity' not the same tire or tread, look at the STT it's lugs are much larger, it has side biter lugs that go half way down the sidewall and the voids are larger .

when you buy cooper you are supporting the company thats going to china to have there tires built i know this as i have friends in texarkana ark that was layed off due to trying to shut the plant down there to send it all to china

Back