• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

checking gear ratio ?

gunruner

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 xj with 6" lift and 33" tires bought it that way but dont know if it has gear to match . at 70mph it runs 2400/2600 rpm is there a way to check them ?

Look for a tag on the front diff. If the stock gearing was changed it may not have one. Stock on Auto is 3.55 or manual 3.07. I know with my 88 with 31's and 4.10's I was about 2700 at 70, a little high I thought until I was wheeling then it was awsome.:spin1:

Or jack the rear up and put it in neutral. As you have someone turn a rear tire slowly one full revolution, get underneath and count how many times the driveshaft turns.

If the driveshaft turns about 3.5 times for that one revolution of the tire, you have 3.55 gears. If it the driveshaft turns just over 3 times, you have 3.07 gears. Etcetera, etcetera.

how bout you just pull the cover off the diff and count the teeth on the ring and pinion, then divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the number of teeth on the ring gear.

Back