• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leak, Bad Water Pump???

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My '95 XJ has been sitting for a couple months, and the other week I ran it, and it ran great. When I shut it off I noticed coolant running out from underneath.

At that time, it looked like it was coming from the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water pump, so today I replaced it, and everything was fine until it reached operating temp around 210.

At this time, I noticed steam and antifreeze running out again, and it looks like it is coming from the water pump itself.

The upper hose and everything else seems fine, so would this be a sympton of a bad water pump?

Yep, sounds like coolant is spewing out of the weep hole on the water pump. Sitting probably allowed the water pump shaft seal to dry out. If you look way up in there you'll probably see it coming out of the area behind the pulley. Might as well replace the belt and thermostat while you're at it.

Yup w/pump. Mines been leaking since summer, comes from the relief hole and drips off the lower rad hose, also travels along the block and drips at the back of the oil pan, I just top it up once a week, until wheelin season comes, then I'll put one in

I just finished replacing my water pump. But the pump was okay, it was not leaking out the weep hole. It was leaking out the blown out gasket behind it. A pressure test showed that. I went ahead and put in a new pump anyway.

And timing set. And balancer. And radiator. And t-stat and housing and pipe. And all the hoses, and the belt. But I'm anal.

Just go pickup a NEW not rebuilt pump at car quest as well as gasket, I'd also do new hoses, belt and idler pulleys while you have it apart. Don't try to get out of moving that power steering pump bracket either, you'll end up doing it twice to replace the gasket you nick trying to get it in there. Use new antifreeze and DISTILLED water to makeup your 50/50 mix, also do the thermostat, get that from the dealer, comes with a gasket. I use Indian Head gasket cement on both sides of my water pump and thermostat gaskets.
I hate doing that kind of stuff this time of year...

Back