• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I knew this was a mistake from the beginning, i need advice...

BGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have had problems with blower motor not working, changed resistor and fan, still nothing, switched out the relay with another and still nothing. took it to jeep this morning because i had had enough with it. i hate the dealership by the way. hated them before today and now really hate them. I dropped it off for them to tell me what was wrong with it. They called me back with a quote of $594.63. Then they had the nerve to tell me that i need to have my tranny and both diffs serviced plus new wiper blades. I told them to not do anything and i'll pick it up after class. I just picked up the xj and it smelled like an electrical fire, so i pulled the blower motor resistor and sure enough it was burned up. Went back to them and they said that it's part of the procedure of testing it. They got the punk ass tech out and he said that he put in a new relay to test it and it fried the resistor. "the fan must be caught up or wound wrong." WTF? I'm so pissed now because I just bought a new blower motor and resistor (not from them) without results. Want them to look at it ($85) and now I've got to get a new resistor. In case you were wondering this is Piedmont Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Anderson, SC. Don't go. I was giving them a second chance and they failed. the first time they said i needed new sway bar links and a steering stabilizer to fix death wobble problems. they did it and they were wrong. F them. Sorry for the rant. Your thoughts?

-Brandon

i just realized this is probably in the wrong section...i apologize

Last edited:
What did they want to charge the $590.xx for? Did they say what the problem was? Shounds shitty to me.

My 95 had the same problem with the fan not blowing. I cut the wires at the blower and grounded one and the other I ran to the back of the control and hooked it into the "high" connector on the blower control. The fan works now, but only blows on high speed. I agree its not the best fix, but I have heat and it didn't cost me $600.

If someone posts the wiring diagram I'll walk ya through how to trouble shoot everything with a VOM or volt ohm meter.
Take ya less than 30 mins and I'm cert elc tech.

What you've got may be a bad fan speed control slider in the dash. Or worse a seized or sticking fan motor, which may be why the resistor burned. Dont even pull the fan motor to check it for freedom, just go under the dash and poke the bastard with a stick, see if the squirrel cage will turn easily.

I have a 00 Classic too, for the wife. I had my AC totally stop, i could hear teh compressor kick in, but no blower. Turns out the refrigerant had leaked out, and relays werent turning the fan on. When I picked it up, the blower was weaker. I was told by the dealer my AC intake probably had ingested a sheet of paper, trying to explain why my blower was weak and the cabin smelled of burntness. They must think I'm gullible. Total BS.

I like yourself, had enough stealership malarky and took it on myself. I had an extended warranty at that point, but I was tired of bringing the jeep home with the SAME problem it went in with.

that particular fan is a bear to remove, the FSM recommends evacuating the air conditioner first. Screw that, I'd recently put an evaporator core in, and an accumulator line. I managed to squash the motor's squirrel cage fan, unbolt and twist the AC accumulator aside, and muscle the motor/fan assy past the interfering wire bundles. Sure beat an AC evac and 3 days downtime at the local stealership house of pain.

On my fan, it was stiff, but not seized. I figured the motor bearings were dried out, so i smeared some EP moly grease into them and put the damn thing back in. I changed the blower resistor too, 50 more bucks but it was rusted to shit.

Bad news is, that 00 fan assy is very expensive. You could pull the plastic housing from it, and replace just the Siemens motor inside, rather than buying an OEM assembly for $300.
The other bummer is getting the damn squirrel cage moved over to the new fan without cracking it. That's why I put moly grease in my motor bearings and kept driving!

Last edited:
well after too much money spent and too much time wasted...i finally fixed the problem(i feel like an idiot). The motor i bought apparently doesnt seat correctly and the squirrel cage is jammed in there so it wont spin. That probably fried the resistor while at the dealer. I put back the old motor, got a new relay, and a new resistor and so far so good. I'm looking forward to warm drives now. So apparently this could have all been solved with a simple relay and a resistor. Thanks for everyone's help.

-Brandon

Nice fix. Maybe the charge from the dealer was so expensive because they were going to remove the entire dash for some odd reason? Although you don't have to, to access the blower motor.....lol, you never know what they might do to "look at something" and then fix it with an alternative method! Maybe even perhaps just for the sake of making money!

Although I am happy with Thomas Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep of Highland, Indiana. Their service is always friendly and they took care of some 7-8 year old recalls without any questions asked!

Of course, that's all I've taken the Jeep there for......for the recalls.

mike71800b said:
If someone posts the wiring diagram I'll walk ya through how to trouble shoot everything with a VOM or volt ohm meter.
Take ya less than 30 mins and I'm cert elc tech.

Id like to know how to do it cause it seems like my heat is nill

Back