• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

URGENT driveshaft/cv/u-joint issue

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
my front CV is squeaking. it has been for a number of weeks now. of course, i tried greasing it. i have held off on replacing it because i am doing a tc rebuild and a 3" lift on my XJ soon. but now that paragon is closing, i MUST go wheeling this weekend. how fearful should i be about this cv causing me troubles offroading?

from all i've heard about paragon you could probly do it all in 2wd anyways

JLane99XJ said:
WOW! i don't know who you've been talking to, but this place is WORLD-CLASS. they have (until monday) over 150 miles of trails, offering everything from trails for stockers to 4-foot-deep mud bogs to extreme rock-crawling. they have hosted NEUROC.

Sounds like another Paragon thread starting!!!
I would be alarmed at your noise. It sounds like a warning from your XJ " I'm gonna break if you don't fix me"

How far from Paragon are you ? If its only a short drive then i wouldn,t worry.And off road the speed will be slow anyway.And if you blow it out at the park,a nice story and a trophy from Paragons last day.
Wayne

altierior said:
my front CV is squeaking. it has been for a number of weeks now. of course, i tried greasing it. i have held off on replacing it because i am doing a tc rebuild and a 3" lift on my XJ soon. but now that paragon is closing, i MUST go wheeling this weekend. how fearful should i be about this cv causing me troubles offroading?

mikeforte said:
Sounds like another Paragon thread starting!!!
I would be alarmed at your noise. It sounds like a warning from your XJ " I'm gonna break if you don't fix me"
yup, i think so too, but i'm wondering if i have to do it tomorrow.

Wayne Sihler said:
How far from Paragon are you ? If its only a short drive then i wouldn,t worry.
2 hours highway.
Wayne Sihler said:
And off road the speed will be slow anyway..
but even at 1 or 2 mph, the offroad driving puts more stress on the joints, correct?
Wayne Sihler said:
And if you blow it out at the park,a nice story and a trophy from Paragons last day.
i like that thinking. looking at it that way, "DAMN THE TORPEDOES!" :roll:
:repair:

JLane99XJ said:

Till I see pics of you on Death Valley, I will proclaim that what you heard is dead wrong.

Is the squeaking speed-related? It gets faster as you move faster, regardless of what gear you're in? If it sounds like an "angry sparrow" then you need to change the CV centering assembly in the front driveshaft...just like the Stu-Offroad link Steve posted.

Yucca-Man said:
Is the squeaking speed-related? It gets faster as you move faster, regardless of what gear you're in? If it sounds like an "angry sparrow" then you need to change the CV centering assembly in the front driveshaft...just like the Stu-Offroad link Steve posted.
yes, the speed of the chirping directly correlates to the speed of the jeep. i know that it is the cv, because i jacked the front axle, and while my daughter turned the front wheels by hand, i climbed under to pinpoint the squeak. thanks steve, for that link, it will be helpful. but i am still trying to decide if i must do this before wheeling on sunday, or if it can wait a while longer.

SteveT said:
Pretty easy fix.... http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driveshaft/driveshaft-5.htm

Get the Spicer components, if you can.

good link but how do i get the u-joints out of the joint and the yoke? the site just says after the joints are removed do this or that it dosent actually tell how to remove them. i removed the joint at the front of the drive shaft no problem but i donno what to do about the u joints at the carden end

Back