• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 96 XJ?

gundog

NAXJA Forum User
I believe I have a fuel delivery problem. Last week while driving on the highway, my XJ felt like it ran out of gas and died. Try to start it for about 30 mins and then it fired up. Yesterday, the thing would not start. I checked for fuel at the test port on the rail and there is barely enough pressure to cause a drip. I changed the fuel filter with no effect. I suspect the pump but would like to check the regulator first. Problem is I can't find the regulator. It isn't on the fuel rail like Haynes shows. Any clues? Pictures are worth a 100 words.

No regulator. The fuel pump does everything. Go with an OEM fuel pump if you can afford it. We only got 5,000 miles out of an aftermarket on our YJ.

The regulator is part of the one piece fuel pump assembly and cannot be repaired but rather replaced with a new assembly. Looks like some quality time with your tank is in your future. I just checked my 96 FSM and found the following: Remove filter cap and release pressure in the line before removing the negative cable on the battery. Drain(siphon) the tank to below a quarter full and then raise your xj for better access. After disconnecting fuel line and electrical hookups from the module, carefully remove the lock ring (counterclockwise) holding the module to the tank. Install the new module using a new o-ring and be sure to replace the rubber stopper in the fuel tank reservoir. Carefully tighten the lock ring until it seats properly against all three stops. Reconnect fuel hose and electrical hook ups, lower the xj and refuel. Replace fuel tank cap. Connect battery cable and start it. Check for leaks. Be careful with tank fumes and sparks for that combination would surely put a dent in your off road enjoyment. Hope this helps.

Back