• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock bottoming out!!!

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK
I put the 3.5" lift on the XJ and bought some longer shocks to compensate. I also put in some BPE's to give it a bit better ride. The problem is the shocks seem to be bottoming out. Now when I hit a bump it goes clunk, these are small bumps.

The shocks are approx. 2.5" longer than stock and the BPE's add another 1.5". Did I go too long on the shock? Should I put the stock shocks back in and just keep the BPE's for the added length lift height??

I did the math. I F'ed up. There's only about 3" of travel on them after installed. Thereby the bottom is reached even on a small bump.

So when I'm going to the auto parts store. What do I ask them for?
A longer shock? More travel? What do I ask for to get the right application?

The kid at AutoZone just looks at me and gives me stock shocks. I admit that I screwed up. Anybody know how I can get the right shock?

You need to remove your shocks (front or rear) and sway-bar links. You then need to flex what ever end your working with to its max compression and droop. Measure the distance from the centers of the shock mount cross bolts to get the max flex in both directions. You now have the max/min length for your set-up. You then look at what shocks are available that fit the min/max you just determined. You may have to compromise, or alter your upper/lower shock mounts. You may need to change style of shock. As an example, I swapped to "eye-eye" shocks for the front, and eliminated the "bayonet style shock normally used on an XJ. Actually, I used the rear shock on the front, removing the cross-pin from the top eye. Major shock manufactures have specifications for all of their shocks, including compressed/extended lengths and mount styles. Determine what you need by measurement, then contact the manufacture.

So almost done and ready for summer.

Did the 3.5 ProComp lift springs and ditched the lift shackles. 3 degree axle shims. Drive line looks good and drives to 75 without any vibes.

New headliner (with junkyard upgraded visors)

Speakers (Blaupunkt)

Weather strip.

After the lift I bought the wrong shocks, 3" longer compressed, I'm an idiot, it had nowhere to go. Well I had to bite the bullet and go buy new shocks because I removed the bar pins to install the BPE's. The stock size shock is the one I got. I drove the rear end up un a ramp with the sway bar out (it's gone for good) to flex it. Made the measurement and other than needing a bit longer bumpstops, I'm good. The BPE's stay and I have some pretty decent articulation.

Next for the front disconnects.

And the radiator upgrade.

And the winch.

And new tires.

Lights.

I need more money!!

:wstupid:​

Back