• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock problem

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK
I put the 3.5" lift on the XJ and bought some longer shocks to compensate. I also put in some BPE's to give it a bit better ride. The problem is the shocks seem to be bottoming out. Now when I hit a bump it goes clunk, these are small bumps.

The shocks are approx. 2.5" longer than stock and the BPE's add another 1.5". Did I go too long on the shock? Should I put the stock shocks back in and just keep the BPE's for the added length lift height??

When you say you bought 2.5" longer shocks.
Is that travel length, extended length, or collapsed length??

What you need to do is measure how much of the shock shaft is exposed at ride height.
Then you measure how much gap is between your bumpstop and the axle at ride height.
Do the math and BAM there's your answer.

Yeah, I did the math. I F'ed up. There's only about 3" of travel on them after installed. Thereby the bottom is reached even on a small bump.

So when I'm going to the auto parts store. What do I ask them for?
A longer shock? More travel? What do I ask for to get the right application?

The kid at AutoZone just looks at me and gives me stock shocks. I admit that I screwed up. Anybody know how I can get the right shock?

family TJ said:
Take out the BPE. It should ride the same whether the shocks are short or long. Sounds like they might be too long though

x2. Keep the shocks.
You could always add longer bumpstops as well as removing the bpe.

Back