• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

accesory fuse box

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
accessory

I want to put a fuse block behind the drivers side cargo panel (has anyone done this?). Eventually I'm going to install a CB, some lights, and maybe a power inverter. But the only fuse blocks I can find have a 100 amp total draw limit. So my question is would running lights, CB, and a power inverter ( and maybe more stuff later) from this be too much. It would be fed by 4 guage wire from the battery. Also what size fuse would lights and the other things take. Thanks

Last edited:
I've got one down by my right knee - does that count? Fuses for additional power points, scanner, inverter, and like that.

There's no reason you can't put a fuse block behind that, but I'd want it somewhere I could actually get to the thing to change fuses...

Anyhow, figure the load on EACH circuit one of these two ways...
1) Read the data plate on the thing, or RTFM. This works for radios, inverters, or any other solid-state electronics.
2) Take the given wattage, and divide by 12 (nominal voltage.) The result will be in amperes - select your fuse accordingly. For multiple lights, you can either add together the wattage and divide by 12, or divide the wattage of each by 12 and add up the amperages you get. (This is assuming they're all different. If they're all the same - 4x55W, for instance, you can just figure the current for one and add up however many lights are on that circuit. For me, however, a guiding rule is "one switch, one fuse.")

Use that, and keep adding it all up until you get to (but NOT OVER!) 100A for that block. Want more accessories? Add another block.

The best way to not "hit the wall" is simple - add up the fuses you use, and not the actual current ratings. This will allow you a nice, comfortable safety margin - electrical fires suck.

Most electrical accessories can use any convenient chassis sheetmetal for a ground - just clean it down to bare metal first, and apply corrosion inhibitor when you put it together. If you plan to run a bunch of accessories in one area, you can use a terminal strip or put in a bolt somewhere convenient, and use a second nut to retain the ground lugs. Still, all grounds should go to CLEAN sheetmetal, or directly to the battery - terminal.

Your CB radio should be directly wired to the battery and fused separately. This applies to any radio capable of transmitting - like amateur radio trancievers (I get away with not doing this on the scanner since it's not a transmitter or a tranciever...)

thanks for the input i might change my mounting location so i can change the fuses easier, I didnt think about that. i might just mount it on the outside of the cargo panel instead.

Where do you plan to locate the accessories? Sounds like most of them will be up front - do what I did, and put the fuse block down by your right knee. Makes it easier to pull the wiring through to it as well.

I stuck mine on the driver's side of the centre console easily enough.

well i plan on having some roof lights and am going to be running the lights out the back hatch and up to the roof. if i ever put lights on my back bumper it i will run thge wire the same way. When i build my front bumper i might have some lights there also so my power needs are spread out. Do you have any pictures of how and where you mounted yours thanks

Back