• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Flares

88-xj-laredo

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm thinking I'll do TJ flares on my cherokee, I would like bushwackers but the price is insane. If TJ flares are wide enough to cover my 33x12.5s.

My question is will TJ flares still work on a 4dr cherokee? Would I have to cut the rear flare and put part of it on the door the same way as the 4dr bushwackers work? Or is it the right size to just fit behind the rear doors?

Also, on Rusty's offroad they have a set of 4 for $92, are TJ flares really that cheap?

Yeah you will have to mount the rears to the doors. What i have seen that looks nicest is to cut them at a 45* angle or so towards the back so that you dont see the seam as well. Jeepin.com i believe has a nice writeup on this. You will probabyl want to reinforce the flare where you cut it so it lines up nicer too, just use some cheap L brackets from the hardware store. also what looks pretty nice is to use the rears on the front and just cut them. the fronts look kinda weird on the xj but if thats the look you want go for it. if you need some wider flares look into the rubicon flares, they are 1" wider than stock TJ flares. less than $100 is a good price for 4 flares too.

How wide are the stock TJ flares? What I really need is coverage so I might look into the rubicon flares, thanks for the tip.

Also does anybody have a way of touching up the bottom of the flares? They just sort of end, I would like them to go down to the bottom of fenders.

I can't find the write up on jeepin.com, could you send me a link. thanks.

Last edited:
I have them on mine. I mounted the rears to the door then cut them with a utility knife so that the seam was perfect. Most pepole don't notice until I tell them or point it out. you are right about being short. I used the great Krylon Fusion and painted them and the flares all at once so it blended better. I didn't put the little light in the fronts though. I got my wife some Bushwackers for her TJ so that I could have her old flares. I can post pics or email them if you want once I get home.

family TJ said:
I have them on mine. I mounted the rears to the door then cut them with a utility knife so that the seam was perfect. Most pepole don't notice until I tell them or point it out. you are right about being short. I used the great Krylon Fusion and painted them and the flares all at once so it blended better. I didn't put the little light in the fronts though. I got my wife some Bushwackers for her TJ so that I could have her old flares. I can post pics or email them if you want once I get home.

Yea, I'd like to see how you blended them. You can post or email, my email is [email protected]

You don't have to mount them on the door. I mounted mine below, and they worked out great. And they cover 33's pretty well.

CIMG1704.jpg

Muddygp - Where can I get those 4 rear TJ flares for under $100? And what year model flares are the ones I want? Also, how do they mount to the fender? The flares on my '97 XJ 2-door are in bad shape, the right front is missing, and the rest are powdery gray, and the metal mount strips are rusty. This looks like it would be a good solution for me, I'm thinkin.'

I was researching just replacing the stock ones, and there are lots of deals on '96 and older ones, but I haven't seen one deal for '97 and up stock flares, which are different. Aargh!

I used 1/4" self tapping bolts. I held the flares in place first then marked all the holes with a stubby marker. I then drillled the holes and then put the flare back up and used the 1/4" bolts to hold them on. For the rear I screwed them into the door and then cut a slice staight down then cut the mounting surface under the flare. Looks pretty clean.
I never asked but I am assuming you are cutting sheet metal to make these work.

kloker said:
Muddygp - Where can I get those 4 rear TJ flares for under $100? And what year model flares are the ones I want? Also, how do they mount to the fender? The flares on my '97 XJ 2-door are in bad shape, the right front is missing, and the rest are powdery gray, and the metal mount strips are rusty. This looks like it would be a good solution for me, I'm thinkin.'

I was researching just replacing the stock ones, and there are lots of deals on '96 and older ones, but I haven't seen one deal for '97 and up stock flares, which are different. Aargh!
Rustysoffroad.com has the $93 TJ flares, it sounds to good to be true which is why I'm skeptical.
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=55254918k&Category_Code=BODY
They have really, really expensive shipping.

And this is a write-up on the flares
http://www.pahighlander.com/tj_flare_install.htm

I'm still wondering if anybody has extended the bottom of the fender flares, its really the only problem I have with them, they just end with a good 6" to go until the bottom of the fender. Other then that I like the idea.
And is it the Wrangler Rubicon with the 1" wider flares?

88-xj-laredo said:
I'm still wondering if anybody has extended the bottom of the fender flares, its really the only problem I have with them, they just end with a good 6" to go until the bottom of the fender. Other then that I like the idea.

Are you referring to the rear? As you can see in my pic above, the fender flares come all the way down to the bottom of the rocker panels, just above the rock rails in front of the front door and behind the rear door. The very back I left short as I did, as since the pciture was taken I have done the cut and fold on the rear quarter panels. They line up perfect with the body lines now that it is cut.

88-xj-laredo said:

I'm not sure what you meen either about being to short? Mine seem to reach down far enough.

100_6591.jpg

My rears also mount to the doors

100_6593.jpg

XJ004.jpg

XJ003.jpg

If I put TJ flares on would that give me enough to clear 33" on a 3" lift? I mean along with all the trimmings.

If you trimmed enough, and bumpstopped accordingly I think you would be OK. I'm only at 4" and the 33's clear fine.

How much did you have to trim?

kloker said:

I got 4 rear TJ flares from collinsbros (www.collinsbros.com I think) for $80 shipped. Their used, but I was painting them anyways...

I trimmed as much as I could with out making it look too bad. The rears I cut relief lines and just bent the metal over. Basically I cut up to where the original flare attached and then folded the metal over. I tried to keep the front and back looking semetrical so it didn't look funny. I wanted it to look as close to a factory option as I could get. thats why I painted them black with my other black stuff.

Back