• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ebay Headlights

I was told to stay away.

Those are not worth the money.

Some say if you want better lighting you need to upgrade your wireing harness.

If you have the money try one of the IPF or Hella Kits.

I think I am going to try the H6054ST Silverstars.

They run like 18 to 20 per headlight.

moparmatt said:
I was told to stay away.

Those are not worth the money.

Some say if you want better lighting you need to upgrade your wireing harness.

If you have the money try one of the IPF or Hella Kits.

I think I am going to try the H6054ST Silverstars.

They run like 18 to 20 per headlight.

Skip the silverstars.

I put 4 of them in my Ram. Two died in the first year. When I called sylvania about it, they told me they are only warrantied for 1 year. Through further conversation, the operator told me they have a lot of warranty calls for bulbs that are just under a year old. She said the life of the bulb is pretty much designed to fail at just over a year.

So for $80+ in bulbs for my ram, I get a YEAR?? Kinda bad if you ask me. I put in the 2 warranty bulbs...About 3 months later, the other 2 went. Just out of warranty..so I put the stock ones back in. Stock is still going now for 3 years.

Take this story as you wish. I personally wouldn't waste the money. Companies need to quit spending so much time designing things to fail and start designing good products to work.

Bouncy said:
Skip the silverstars.

I put 4 of them in my Ram. Two died in the first year. When I called sylvania about it, they told me they are only warrantied for 1 year. Through further conversation, the operator told me they have a lot of warranty calls for bulbs that are just under a year old. She said the life of the bulb is pretty much designed to fail at just over a year.

So for $80+ in bulbs for my ram, I get a YEAR?? Kinda bad if you ask me. I put in the 2 warranty bulbs...About 3 months later, the other 2 went. Just out of warranty..so I put the stock ones back in. Stock is still going now for 3 years.

Take this story as you wish. I personally wouldn't waste the money. Companies need to quit spending so much time designing things to fail and start designing good products to work.

Which one did you go with they make like 5 or 7 different ones.

H6054ST Silverstars are the ones I am talking about.

MG2000XJ said:
Im looking for something with better lighting and while im at it why not make them look better. I like the bright white/blue look.

If you want that white/blue again I would took into IPF.

I have yet to find by talking and searching on this forum and other forums who have been happy with the ebay cheepo lights.

The lenes on those ebay cheepos are plastic and will over time fog. My friend has those on his sedan and they sux and fogged on him.

Again, look into IPF but I am going to get the H6054ST Silverstars.

I know 2 people on :NAXJA: that are happy with the H6054ST Silverstars.

Anyway ~good luck~

(P.S. I am not a sales person) :laugh:

Another thing to consider (from experience) is that in deep water crossings, H4 style lamps will fill with water and you will have two small fish tanks on the front of the Jeep.

Whereas with my sealed beam SilverStars....no such problem.

And yes, the Silverstars do not last not. They say right on the box 1 year. Mine lasted 2 years and died.

I have had my silverstars for going on 3 years. I have been very happy with them until recently when I noticed the passenger one is a bit foggy. Tried the cheapo ebay lights and they were a joke: Looked cool but were scary to drive with around turns as I had to throw on the Hella's to see around turns.

interesting that other people have been having short-lived Silverstars, too. I thought I just just got a flukey bad one. Love the light, though, and I'll use the free replacement (thank you very much) until I can afford the H-4 upgrade--easier to carry a spare!

Most headlight manufactors will tell you that headlights and or bulbs should be replaced once a year due to loss of light from use.
This from Syvania's web site.

SYLVANIA AUTOMOTIVE LIGHTING
SilverStar® FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

GENERAL

Q) When is a good time to change my headlights?
A) SYLVANIA recommends changing your headlights in pairs about once a year. The end of Daylight Savings Time in the fall results in earlier nightfall and more nighttime driving. It’s the perfect time to upgrade your headlights. Remember, when its time to change your clocks, it’s probably time to change your headlights.

RickyN29 said:
Another thing to consider (from experience) is that in deep water crossings, H4 style lamps will fill with water and you will have two small fish tanks on the front of the Jeep.

Whereas with my sealed beam SilverStars....no such problem.

And yes, the Silverstars do not last not. They say right on the box 1 year. Mine lasted 2 years and died.

Not if you seal the boots with rtv.....

moparmatt said:
"The lenes on those ebay cheepos are plastic and will over time fog. My friend has those on his sedan and they sux and fogged on him."
**end quote**

Not true on the ones I got from ebay...they are glass.I paid $20.00 for mine and they came with halogen bulbs...bulbs alone are worth $10.00.
They are brighter than stock but are no means the best...just better than stock,I like mine.Do a search on ebay headlights and you'll see the thread I had on this,including the link to the ones I bought.
I say try em.....

The ones on ebay are more of a universal kit. I think they might be good for some off road lights but I don't think I would want them for driving lights. Most kits only give you one setting so no low and high beams.

moparmatt said:
I don't think they make one for the XJ. < It was one of the first things I looked up.

I know the Grand Cherokee has H.I.D. kits out there.

moparmatt said:
Again, look into IPF but I am going to get the H6054ST Silverstars.

I know 2 people on :NAXJA: that are happy with the H6054ST Silverstars.

I was happy with the Silverstars. Here's the original post that I made about them. I'm no longer happy with their longevity. The original pair burned out after about 18 months. I replaced them, because, frankly it was cheaper than buying IPF housing and H4 bulbs. But having to fork out $50 every 18 months or just cough up $150 for the upgrade once, seemed like a no-brainer. I already have the harness in place so I don't need that.

Got the IPFs and Fat Boy bulbs last week from DPG Off Road. Installed them with the help of Kevin H while we were out at Calico and aimed them in the dark lonely road. The Fat Boys are a bit brighter than the Siverstars on low beam and much brighter on high beam, but the major difference is beam pattern. Much sharper cut off on the IPF housings.

I honestly regret having wasted the money on the Silverstars.

Andy Steiner said:
I was happy with the Silverstars. Here's the original post that I made about them. I'm no longer happy with their longevity. The original pair burned out after about 18 months. I replaced them, because, frankly it was cheaper than buying IPF housing and H4 bulbs. But having to fork out $50 every 18 months or just cough up $150 for the upgrade once, seemed like a no-brainer. I already have the harness in place so I don't need that.

Got the IPFs and Fat Boy bulbs last week from DPG Off Road. Installed them with the help of Kevin H while we were out at Calico and aimed them in the dark lonely road. The Fat Boys are a bit brighter than the Siverstars on low beam and much brighter on high beam, but the major difference is beam pattern. Much sharper cut off on the IPF housings.

I honestly regret having wasted the money on the Silverstars.
Awesome, thanks for your post. I love the Silverstars, so I couldn't decide what to do. But hearing your situation, which is just like mine, settles the deal. Autopal housings and quality bulbs.

I've got a set of glass diamond cut ones off of eBay. Think I paid $40 shipped and they included bulbs. The bulbs lasted 1 year. I have since replaced them with a H4 type 1255 bulb. It has a 85w/100w low/hi beam. This things are amazing. No problems with my wiring and recommend them without fail,. Got the bulbs at Napa for around $13 each.

Back