• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99' Engine computer to 00'?

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
We have that oh so wonderful Sentry ignition key (grey bitch) system crap and I'm done with it.

Also got a general engine computer fault. don't remember the number but its been acting up ever since they stole it.

What I am wondering is, can I buy a 00' or 01' engine computer and put it in my 99'?

I know if I remove that transponder behind the ignition before installing the engine computer that has never been on the sentry system so that solves that chit.

If anyone actually WANTS the sentry system, you can HAVE IT.

No you can't. I learned it the hard way. The flash program only computers used in OBDII cars have the vehicles VIN burned into them permanently. This is for emissions compliance. There is no way to erase it reprogram it. As far as I know the computer must come from Jeep and be flashed by them in the vehicle. Hope this helps.

RandyD71 said:
No you can't. I learned it the hard way. The flash program only computers used in OBDII cars have the vehicles VIN burned into them permanently. This is for emissions compliance. There is no way to erase it reprogram it. As far as I know the computer must come from Jeep and be flashed by them in the vehicle. Hope this helps.

So you are saying that you have got to have a brand new computer?!

Well then how the hell can they sell them used on ebay?!!!

I'm curious about this too. Since the Sentry Key system was optional, this would mean that it could be added or deleted (maybe). I'm sure that someone out there has done the conversion.

Why do you want an 00 or 01 computer? It may or may not make a difference that 00 and 01 have the spark rail instead of a distibutor. You should contact the dealership or check the Factory Service Manual and see if your computer or any replacement can be reflashed. My 2000 FSM says the Sentry Key cannot be repaired, the whole unit must be replaced and that the PCM (computer) can be replaced and reflashed. Maybe you can just disconnect the SK and have your PCM reflashed.

Last edited:
Once the engine controller sees a SKIM module on the computer bus you cannot remove the SKIM system without replacing the engine controller. Like the original guy said, if you remove/disconnect the SKIM module prior to installing a new computer you can just do without the SKIM sytem. The point is that not all 99's came with SKIM, so you can find another 99 with the same engine/trans and federal/calif configuration as yours, but without the SKIM system, and put it in and be done with it. The 00, and 01 are different controllers and different set-ups so don't bother with them. The VIN number is recorded in the engine controller, but isn't really a big deal on that year/model vehicle.

I read all about the f@#$@# sentry thing....

Reason I was asking is there was a 00 computer on ebay... its sold now so I would probably just go with a 99'

I know the engine computer is toast, ses light is always on and the code is internal general ECU FAULT or whatever it says...

I have no clue how it still runs the jeep but I do know that I get about 5 mpg in town!!! Thats lame..... I need 4.88 gears for the black beast and just park that 99' till I can afford a new computer.bitch.

Bryan C. said:
Once the engine controller sees a SKIM module on the computer bus you cannot remove the SKIM system without replacing the engine controller. Like the original guy said, if you remove/disconnect the SKIM module prior to installing a new computer you can just do without the SKIM sytem. The point is that not all 99's came with SKIM, so you can find another 99 with the same engine/trans and federal/calif configuration as yours, but without the SKIM system, and put it in and be done with it. The 00, and 01 are different controllers and different set-ups so don't bother with them. The VIN number is recorded in the engine controller, but isn't really a big deal on that year/model vehicle.

so on a 99' I could get a used one then or no?

Back