• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight switch removal

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

My headlights stopped working.

How do I remove the damned headlight switch? (It just near the driver doors, the one that you pull/push :) ) it´s XJ 93´

I searched but did not find it ....

I've done it a few times, not too hard once you figure it out.

It may be easier to do if you remove the lower 'knee bolster' part of the dash...

You'll need a clear view of the underside of your dash, so get prepared to get inverted. On the bottom of the switch, there is a button you'll need to press. This frees up the 'push/pull' plunger part; pull the plunger all the way out, completely free of the housing. (If it won't come out, don't force it; you need to press harder on the button. Maybe wiggle it a bit.)

Once the plunger is out, you'll notice the silver metal backing that was hiding behind the plunger has a slot through it; you can use a big slot screwdriver to unscrew it and this will free your headlight switch from the dash.

There is a wire harness clipped to the back of the switch, and there isn't a lot of slack to get a good look at it; what's more, I can't recall if there's a trick to getting the harness and switch to separate. I don't think there is, but that hard work is done.

Someone might come up with a better description; if so, I'll just blame it on lack of sleep and cough medicine.

:)

not yet, this is only one thing on the "fix it" list, and also I have to learn for my PhD exams, too :) probably :)

also have to fix front driveshaft joints and leaky oil pan, at least I have other jeeps to drive, (20% of my cars is operational :)) :sunshine:

Back