• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C4x4 Tow Hook Install Problem

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
Problems on a 1986 XJ Pioneer 2.5L TBI. The steering box mounts almost flush to where the L shaped brackets need to go. The lower of the 2 holes definitely cannot have any bolt in there as a nut will not fit between it and the sheet metal there. I may be able to get the top in I am going to try this weekend. Any one see any rear problem with just running 3 out of the 4 bolts on the L shape bracket. There is no possible way with out modification to the steering box that all 4 will fit. Other companies like rusty do not even use this L shape part. Any input is great, I may have to buy a really short bolt in order for the top of the 2 to clear, I will see for sure this weekend because I am going to have to buy a stubby 17mm to get the nut in there. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Rusty's
xj-th_01.jpg

C4x4
towhookbrackets.jpg

I remember having those side pieces from rusty's in my kit. I have long since changed to a winch bimper so I no longer have these. But you need to use them because they help with side pulls if I remember correctly.

I just removed a set of these and the problem you are having is caused by a spacer/ bumpstop looking thing in front of the steering box. The piece I am reffering to is bolted in there through the bottom. Locate and remove that piece, install tow hook hardware and reinstall the piece.

Where are you trying to install them? Those brackets go outside the engine bay, under the radiator. I don't have a pic of mine handy, but somebody else on here posted a good one of them not so long ago. Search around for the thread...his pics show exactly where they go (nowhere near the steering box:))

Jeff

Jeff in VA. That is a 2000 XJ 4.0L and is totally different than my 1986 2.5L set up. I don't know if you realize this but some things changed in Cherokees between 1986 and 2000. I know that they go outside the engine bay. I installed the passenger side very easily but the steering box is in the way on the drivers side. I will have pics up tomorrow probably but I have been busy with an up coming fluid mechanics exam. Trust me my steering box is right on the other side of it.

rredalty said:
I just removed a set of these and the problem you are having is caused by a spacer/ bumpstop looking thing in front of the steering box. The piece I am reffering to is bolted in there through the bottom. Locate and remove that piece, install tow hook hardware and reinstall the piece.

This may be it. Is it only attached by one bolt. I did remove the one bolt on the underside and nothing moved.

It is only one bolt from what I remember, located under the steering box on the front crossmsmber. That doesn't mean there aren't any more than that but that's all there was left on mine. Hope that helps you out some.

tgoff said:
Jeff in VA. That is a 2000 XJ 4.0L and is totally different than my 1986 2.5L set up. I don't know if you realize this but some things changed in Cherokees between 1986 and 2000. I know that they go outside the engine bay. I installed the passenger side very easily but the steering box is in the way on the drivers side. I will have pics up tomorrow probably but I have been busy with an up coming fluid mechanics exam. Trust me my steering box is right on the other side of it.

This may be it. Is it only attached by one bolt. I did remove the one bolt on the underside and nothing moved.

Now I remember, that's what it is.....it's a little spacer thingy there in front of the box. I put them on a couple years ago, my mind is a little fuzzy :looser:
Jeff

Finally got them installed. That shim or spacer deal for the steering box did not want to move very easily after being put for 21 years. I did have one problem though with the install. The bolt for the bottom was too long for the shim to go back into place so I had to buy a shorter bolt from the hardware store to replace it. Now both sides are installed correctly and seem pretty damn sturdy.

Last edited:
Back