• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 to 98,99,00 4.0 engine swap?

PuckNuts

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 XJ that was stolen and recovered today. I don't want to mess around in sub-zero temps to repair it and am thinking of a newer XJ to replace it.
When the weather permits, I know my lift will swap into a newer model but will my '92 4.0HO with 4000 miles on it swap into a newer model?
Skids? Front, TC, Tank
Hubs?
Class III Hitch?

TIA
-Brian

Sorry to hear about your vehicle, although on a positive note at least you have it back.

I'm not sure if the newer OBD-II computer will like the 92 engine head? And it's emissions and such. It would be better if you stayed with a Cherokee 1995 and below XJ because thye use the same computers and head, etc. Also if you get a 99 + the intake manifold will be different, although you can just swap that.

Like I said 95 and under, you'll be in better luck for functionality with the computer. Not saying it isn't possible to work out, but then again I can't say for sure either.

What did they all do to your current Jeep?

Blaine B. said:
What did they all do to your current Jeep?
It's not unfixable... but I'm tired of working on it. A newer one that won't require paint and bodywork is somewhat appealing. This would make a killer trail rig as it is but I don't get out enough to warrant a dedicated off-roader, nor do I have room to store it.
DSC03173.jpg

DSC03174.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

DSC03176.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

DSC03182.jpg

I hope you get a chance to smack those retreads in their heads! :twak:

jesusjeep19 said:
How did they indent the wiper cowl like that? Did it bend when they hit whatever they did with the front end?
I presume so. The funny thing is, the hood appears fine except where the police used a pry bar to try and open it.

All it really needs is a front bumper, rear bumper, front headlight bezel, passenger side mirror, and rear taillight....And the rest (where the paint came off) would just require some black rustoleum. I don't see any reason that you'd need to replace anything else just because it's bent?

The rest of the Jeep looks in superb condition given it's a 92! Don't junk such a beauty. It looks so damns hiny without the clearcoat peeling - something you shouldn't destroy. At least sell it to another Jeeper willing to keep her!

Blaine B. said:
All it really needs is a front bumper, rear bumper, front headlight bezel, passenger side mirror, and rear taillight....And the rest (where the paint came off) would just require some black rustoleum. I don't see any reason that you'd need to replace anything else just because it's bent?

The rest of the Jeep looks in superb condition given it's a 92! Don't junk such a beauty. It looks so damns hiny without the clearcoat peeling - something you shouldn't destroy. At least sell it to another Jeeper willing to keep her!
It'll need more than that.. steering column, header panal, rad cradle, rad, condenser, hood hinges, latches etc. just to restore functionality. I suspect that'll cost me $1000 + effort alone and it will still look like crap. I'm toying with the idea of buying a '99 2 door sport that looks fantastic but has high mileage 236,000 kms (180,000 mi). When spring rolls around I could swap in my lift and wheels and have a spare engine if it's compatable. Will a late model head bolt to a '92 HO block?
Another concern is the transmission. I hadn't been driving it because I had a substantial leak to the tranny cooler and if those thieving ba$tards ran it had they mave burned out the tranny. The engine may have been overheated too for all I know, the rad is busted and I don't know when that occured - during the chase, end of the chase.. who knows. I'll have to do some investigation before I offer it for sale.

You seem to have put a lot of love and attention into you baby. My jeep is my baby, I take care of him and he takes care of me. My advice if some sob abused your jeep I would take the time and effort to put things back to normal. Besides, this could be a chance to do all those upgrades that you have been putting off. Instead of putting your jeep back to normal it could turn out better than before. Yeah the jeep hobby is a costly addition, but a healthy one. Good luck.
If it were me, I would buy the other jeep and use it while fixing up jeep number one.

PuckNuts said:
It'll need more than that.. steering column, header panal, rad cradle, rad, condenser, hood hinges, latches etc. just to restore functionality. I suspect that'll cost me $1000 + effort alone and it will still look like crap. I'm toying with the idea of buying a '99 2 door sport that looks fantastic but has high mileage 236,000 kms (180,000 mi). When spring rolls around I could swap in my lift and wheels and have a spare engine if it's compatable. Will a late model head bolt to a '92 HO block?
Another concern is the transmission. I hadn't been driving it because I had a substantial leak to the tranny cooler and if those thieving ba$tards ran it had they mave burned out the tranny. The engine may have been overheated too for all I know, the rad is busted and I don't know when that occured - during the chase, end of the chase.. who knows. I'll have to do some investigation before I offer it for sale.

Didn't know about the inside or hidden damages.....but, when you're all done, it will not look like crap! I don't even think it looks like crap now with the dents. The paint is astonishing!

Blaine B. said:
Didn't know about the inside or hidden damages.....but, when you're all done, it will not look like crap! I don't even think it looks like crap now with the dents. The paint is astonishing!
Thanks for the kind words Blaine. If you like as it is you'll really appreciate these pics.

Before:
1992_cherokee_original.jpg

During:
Dsc02053.jpg

After:
DSC03059.jpg

I emailed my kid's principal with this shot thier the school...
"What do you mean snowday, we made it here!"
DSC03062.jpg

-Brian

Wow, with all that snow maybe it went past being a half ton! That's hilarious! Love that snow on the roof.....never saw so much on a vehicle before.

The first pic - probably when you first got it - it looks like the XJ is LONGER. Maybe it's just the step or rock slider, whatever that is. You can't destroy her though, that's the final word!

By the way, when you removed that rubber stuff that is at the bottom of the doors and such - what did you do to the metal behind it to make it shine? I think they are held on with adhesive but I could be wrong? Gives me an idea of something to do!

Blaine B. said:
Wow, with all that snow maybe it went past being a half ton! That's hilarious! Love that snow on the roof.....never saw so much on a vehicle before.

The first pic - probably when you first got it - it looks like the XJ is LONGER. Maybe it's just the step or rock slider, whatever that is. You can't destroy her though, that's the final word!

By the way, when you removed that rubber stuff that is at the bottom of the doors and such - what did you do to the metal behind it to make it shine? I think they are held on with adhesive but I could be wrong? Gives me an idea of something to do!

All that snow came in one Thursday (Dec.7) evening. I went to work at 5pm with about an inch on the ground. Came home at midnight to my wife shovelling the driveway for the third time. I figure at that point we 30" in 8 hours. By morning we had about 36" in total. Without a word of a lie my wife was cutting the grass the following weekend (Dec.15). We didn't get another snowflake for about a month.

Those are running boards on the side - first thing to come off when I got it home!

The rubber door molding, about 4" high took part of the door with it when they were removed! It's new steel from the crease down. When I repainted the Jeep, I painted the molding as well, bought new 3M Trim Tape and never put them back on. I prefer it without the rubber molding.

-Brian

Heh, I see.....I won't do that afterall. Although I don't have any other rust on my Jeep then on the underside before I fixed that.....I wouldn't want to take a chance with having holes in the doors (just incase).

Didn't realize you Jeep was repainted. Although the paint looks great in the first picture too. I'd say it was well taken care of for it's life. Although you could have said the same about mine until you saw the floorboards (they aren't like that anymore!)

The paint in the first picture looks better than it actually was. There was rust and peeling on every panal. I removed three of the fender flares by hand taking parts of the fender with it. Every panal on it saw new steel except the hood, it was just peeling but not bad.
I can imagine how your floors looked, mine too. I welded in 16G hand formed panals front to back.

Some more pic's..

Dsc00796.jpg

Dsc02253.jpg

Dsc02250.jpg

Dsc02248.jpg

And I love this one...
DSC01952.jpg

Well, your floors were worse than mine. My trunk area had maybe 3 small holes. Drivers side had a holle where the drivers feet were. Passenger side was rusted beneath the rear passenger feet area and beneath the front seat feet area.

Good man, you welded. We just cleaned up the rust, put some roofing tar down, and sheet-metal screwed some 14 and 16 gauge metal down (we pre cut and fit it in). Then on the underside I used some expanding foam to fill any gaps.....primered....then undercoated.

They sure do rot.

I had 6 rust spots on the raingutter areas too, and one surface rust area near the passenger side rear door, on the rear quarter panel.

I've got it all taken care of though. You really can't tell unless you look closely at my nooby-bondo work for the rain gutter rust areas. But hey, it works!

Back