• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not normal death wobble

The glory wagon

NAXJA Forum User
just got front end alignment, new tierods, dual steering stabilizer shocks, new trackbar, good wheelbearings and ball joints, tires at right pressure, new biasply 33's that shouldnt have belt shift or anything like that. I just drove down the road and didnt make it past 18mph and it wobbled uncontrollably until I came to a complete stop, what else is there? power steering box? im almost about to sell my rig, what am i missing here

Control arm bushings okay? How much lift? Tried different tires yet?

Check your lug nuts.

The glory wagon said:
check yours old man, give me some good advice

Check them and also check wheel weights. I determined my wobble from 1 weight came off on the inside. After that, I had no more wobble.

make sure the trac bar bolts are tight and that it is ajusted right. sometimes, they can work themselves loose. especially if it hasnt been on the rig for very long. dont just check that, but check all other bolts to make sure they are all snug.

im going to re-check the trackbar bolts, and get a steering box brace, as for balancing baja claw bias plias... kinda a joke and no matter how bad the balance is it shouldnt affect it at 18 miles per hour, one time i powered through it and after 50 she drove like a champ

It more than likely the bias ply tires. You have to drive out the flat spots in the tires after being parked for a while. Why don't you try putting a radial tire on there and see if that fixes your problem.

its more than likely your tires. I replace both steering knuckles upper and lower ball joints and put on a currie heavy duty steering and no fix. I had bfg mud terrains (33 x 10.5). My last resort was the tires, I went and got some new tires (summit mud dawgs 33x12.5) and that fixed my prob. It sounds like you did every thing else but the tires.

The glory wagon said:
check yours old man, give me some good advice

Hey asshole, that is good advise. Any very noticable wobble at below 20mph has to be a serious problem. There is not enough energy generated at 18mph to cause most items to move around that much. Something major has to be real loose. The most likely thing to cause this type of wobble would be a loose wheel.

If it only does it under power and not on coast, check your engine/tranny mounts.

A totally, and I mean totally shot ball joint might cause the issue, but below 20mph would be real uncommon.

Other than that, just check for loose joints on the tie rods and track bar. You could have a broken track bar mount, but they rarely cause wobble as much as extremely loose steering.

Lastly, check your attitude.

dj's 2000 xj said:
Check them and also check wheel weights. I determined my wobble from 1 weight came off on the inside. After that, I had no more wobble.
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!but i actually saw mine fly off the front wheel exactly 50 feet away from the tire place.the tire guy said its not uncommom at all when dealing with larger tires.mine are 31 x 10.50 BFG KO's by the way.

Back