• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to know how to fix steering problem help!

xXseekanddestroyXx

NAXJA Forum User
life theatining steering problem help!

ok so i just put on 6 inches of lift on my 92 xj and i got the currie heavy dutry tie rod and drag link and i also have the rubicon express heavy duty track bar. when i drive me steering is all over the place it jerks the left or the right when i hit a small dip and on the freeway it sways and i can fell the steering jerking left and right but the steering wheel isint jerking left and right which makes almost impossible to drive on the freeway. i was thinking it might be the steering rod, or that i need a drop arm but im not a mechanic so i wouldnt really know so any suggestion are welcom thanx

Last edited:
Have a friend get into your drivers seat. You sit on the ground in front of your rig.

Your friend should shift your steering wheel left and right a quarter turn rapidly. Start looking at the steering shaft, to the box, to the pitman arm, to the draglink, tie rod, trackbar, ball joints, you get the picture. Somewhere your going to see one piece move and not the other. Fix that problem. Have your friend do it again. Fix that problem, have your friend do it again.

lather, rinse, repeat.

Are you running short arms,that would be a likely cause?

Re: life theatining steering problem help!

xXseekanddestroyXx said:
ok so i just put on 6 inches of lift on my 92 xj and i got the currie heavy dutry tie rod and drag link and i also have the rubicon express heavy duty track bar. when i drive me steering is all over the place it jerks the left or the right when i hit a small dip and on the freeway it sways and i can fell the steering jerking left and right but the steering wheel isint jerking left and right which makes almost impossible to drive on the freeway. i was thinking it might be the steering rod, or that i need a drop arm but im not a mechanic so i wouldnt really know so any suggestion are welcom thanx

have you install a Heavy Duty Frame Mount or you still runing the stock one?
i have 6.5" lift short arm and i had the same problem until i install the Heavy Duty Frame Mount that work out for me and this is my DD.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/MR_XJ/offroadbrazosvally3211.jpg

Death wobble is crazy fast, violent back and fourth front tire wobble that you have to stop and pull over becasue you think you're going to die!

Sounds like his track bar has some slop in it, and he has a case of bump steer too.

Back