• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires??? General Grabber vs BFG All-Terrian

MoparBoyy

NAXJA Forum User
i currently have a set of worn out BFGs on my XJ. 31x10.5. i'm looking for new ones and can get a pretty killer deal from a freind on the General Grabber AT 2
it will save me like $130 to go with the Generals.

now i'm not doing much off-roading, maybe one or two trips to an off road park, and for sure one trip to the michigain sand dunes over the next year or two.

tire rack has some good reviews of the General, anyone here ever use them?

havent used them but they only have 2 ply sidewalls so its up to you if the savings in money are worth the increased chance of a torn sidewall.

Those Generals are a really weak looking tread design as well. If you want to stick with an AT tire, the BFG is the best choice.

fubar XJ said:
Those Generals are a really weak looking tread design as well. If you want to stick with an AT tire, the BFG is the best choice.
who are you trying to kid about the tread design??? I have been told that the tread on the Grabber AT2's was designed by the same person that designed the BFG AT's. Have you ever seen these in person? Have you ever ran them? I have, and I have them on my Cherokee right now and love them. When the tires on my ZJ are worn out I will buy a set for it also. I think they look far better than the BFG's and are a better tire. I have had both tires. One set was on my Wrangler and the other set on my Cherokee. I have gone places in my Cherokee that I couldn't go in my Wrangler. The last time I was off road, I was the only Cherokee the rest were CJ's and TJ's. I went everywhere they did without a problem. I say go for it and get the Grabbers you will not be sorry!!!

100_0586.jpg

100_05872.jpg

100_0584.jpg

100_0583.jpg

i worked at a tire store when the general grabber AT2 came out. they are a take off of the BFG but are made for more wet weather so they are actually better other than the 2 ply sidewalls.

I'm a BFG fan my self, the A/T get vary long tead life..............but them general look pritty good!

flash.

Flash said:
I'm a BFG fan my self, the A/T get vary long tead life..............but them general look pritty good!

flash.
I hope you're typing like that on purpose.

Anyway, I had the regular General Grabber 31" ATs, and they did really good off road in the dirt when they were new and decent in the mud. I have had probably 3 sets of 31" BFG ATs over the years and they are decent too.

I like the way the BFGs look better, but the Grabbers are really good!!
I swear, they may have a 2 ply sidewall but I liked them.
I never got a flat wit them and I off roaded them at least once a week with 35lbs of air, I never aired them down.

barillms said:
I hope you're typing like that on purpose.

Anyway, I had the regular General Grabber 31" ATs, and they did really good off road in the dirt when they were new and decent in the mud. I have had probably 3 sets of 31" BFG ATs over the years and they are decent too.

I like the way the BFGs look better, but the Grabbers are really good!!
I swear, they may have a 2 ply sidewall but I liked them.
I never got a flat wit them and I off roaded them at least once a week with 35lbs of air, I never aired them down.

Care to enlighten me!

flash.

by the way I think I paid $90 per tire and $50 to have all 4 mounted, and they have a 50,000 mile warranty with them. How can you go wrong? In the wet weather they stick to the road and in the mud they dig like crazy, what more does a guy want from an AT tire??

My buddy has them on his Tahoe and they do pretty good. They clog up quickly in the mud and don't clean themselves well but then again what A/T does? The tread pattern is almost identical to the BFG's and they are cheaper so why not try them? The worst thing about them seems to be the thin side wall.

I got nearly 65,000 miles on my set of at2's and loved them off road. they are better than the BFG at's I had before them and were more cost effective. get the LT version and you have a better side wall than the Passenger tires. The tread pattern is very simular but has a bit wider gap between lugs so they even did pretty well in mud

I have a set of AT2's coming over in a container to me in Australia right now. Don't be fooled by the 3 ply BFG that I used to run. They have 3 layers of 1000 denier yet the Generals have two of 1500 denier nylon. Even the sidewall thickness had the General actually very slightly thicker in the test report I read but close enough to call it even. ;) The BFG sidewalls are 9 mm thick yet some 2 ply ones I have seen are 11 mm!
Reports from those who had run both brands back to back all found the General better on road in the wet and the same or better offroad compared to the BFG AT.

Last edited:
Ran the BFG A/T to 85K on my work truck, still had tread when i replaced them with another set.

My vote, as someone who puts more miles on BFG's then most anyone here, go BFG.

Rev

do not go grabbers, had them on my XJ, I was always fixing side punctures, about 5 or 6 times, mostly light offroad drivin, I will never buy this tyre again .... Now I have michelin ATs and I am satisfied,

Semper Fi said:
by the way I think I paid $90 per tire and $50 to have all 4 mounted, and they have a 50,000 mile warranty with them. How can you go wrong? In the wet weather they stick to the road and in the mud they dig like crazy, what more does a guy want from an AT tire??

yeah i can get them for the same price, but mounting and balancing is free for me, since i have the machines :)

thanks again from everyone. gonna get the Generals, like i said, dont do much off-roading, and the ones i'm getting are LTs. i will post my own review once i get them on.

Back