• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining On Acceleration

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Quick setup info: '87-89 HP30 front rigged to keep the shift collar over both axle shafts, '87-89 D44 rear, NP231 t-case.

So there's a lovely whining noise every time I hit the accelerator. The noise is louder the faster I go. It ONLY does this while accelerating. This leads me to believe that it is not the inner or outer pinion bearing, though the pinion seal is leaking slightly (On the D44). If it's not the D44, I'm thinking the t-case may be causing the noise.

I recently sunk the Heep in 3' of water (my 4WD was broken).

Dec17th082.jpg

When I changed all the fluids, the color was horrible. The t-case fluid was brown/black... supposed to be nice and red as you know. There's other noises as well, which are definitely coming from the t-case, but I am tolerating them for now. I am really thinking it could be anything right now. Wheel bearing maybe? Idea's? Thanks!

P.S. I think I'm getting a new t-case, Ford 8.8 rear and matching HP30 front anyway within the next few months.. so I may have to tolerate this for now as well.

Last edited:
I guess that's a no, eh?

Back