• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saving my bearing

missouri

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal I have a set of Superior's d44 axles left over from a TJ I used to own, I want to use them in my d44 XJ axle assembly. I know the mounting plates are different, I would like to remove the bearings with as much chance as possible of not damaging them. I ain't cutting them off. I have a vertical 12 ton Press. A shop wants $50 to remove the bearing and they cost about $50. Can this be done?

thanks

Missouri

Yep, I use a 9 inch bearing spiltter and hang it in the press (20 ton). I run about a 90 percent success rate on pulling axle bearings with out damage. The 9 inch splitter (as opposed to a 4.5 inch splitter) gives a better bite on the bearing, resulting in more success.

As a side note, Do you know for sure the flange plates are different?

Try heating the bearings with a torch as you press them off.
The backing plates are different between an XJ D44 and a TJ D44.

Thanks for the advice and yep they are different. XJ d44 rounded on one side, bolt pattern slightly off. I heard that a Rubicon plate could be used, who really knows??

missouri

If you heat the bearings, they are toast..

MudDawg said:
If you heat the bearings, they are toast..

You might get away with mild heat, but as mentioned above, I would advise against it. Steady press & bearing separator is the best bet. Put pressure on it & tap on it.

Rob $.02

Thanks, didn't plan on using a torch maybe elec heat gun at most.

missouri

I have seen a number of writeups where people slotted the retaining plates to avoid having to pull the bearings. Might be an option.

Back