• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ axle swap

jeepaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i am swapping over to a 8.8 w/4.10 gears in the rear..Now the front. The dana 30 is my only option if i want same bolt pattern,width,yada yada. Rubicon 44 not an option ($$$$). Question is does the d30 out of a TJ fit the MJ? My problem is I am having a heck of a time finding the d30 w/ 4.10 gears.:wierd:

The d30 out of a TJ is low pinion, you don't want it. Not only will it have less clearance and worse driveline angles, it will be a lot weaker.

Check the yards, Most 4 cyl xj's from 84 on had 4.10 gears, they aren't that hard to find.. it's worth not having 4 wheel drive for a little a while during your search.

i should be cool on driveline angle..We are planning on spinning my steering knuckles to help out with that but the low pinion would not be a good thang.

this was a big discussion a while back, the strength difference from low-high pinion is a non-issue.

i dont feel like pullin up the thread, but the physics of the matter was explained and proved false, and i think IIRC the guy said the low pinion was actually marginally (that is to say ~.01%) stronger than a high pinion.

so dont worry about that.

and jeepaholic: i wish i had the time/resources to help you out, i know i could go to a yard and find one tomarrow for 90$ in atlanta area but im in school all day.

Pull that thread up.. cuz I think I'm going to call bullshit on it, unless someone can come up with some hard data.

Look at www.car-part.com Any axle '85 thru what 1999??? I found a '86 model for 200 clams...in georgia....i buy a lot of stuff using that site to find the parts.

Edit: don't get a low pinion unit.....

For those of you who have you heart set on a non disco Dana 30, a disco Dana 30 can be made in to a non disco VERY easy.

So if you find a disco with 4.10s, don't pass it up.
The disco housing is stronger too. All you need it s new shaft, and a new seal on the inner tube. You just gut the axle, and remove everything, and put a block off plate over the access opening.
Then install the new solid shaft and you're done.

Any XJ, MJ, TJ front Dana 30 are interchangeable.
Some rotors are different, and some calipers are different.
Some have the older 1/4 ton shafts, some have the better 1/2 ton 297x U joint shafts.
SOME OLD '84-'86 Dana 30s have CV joint shafts with a round rubber boot at the joint- STAY AWAY FROM THESE, unless you plan on swapping out these shafts anyway.
Some are high pinion and newer D30s are low pinion in both TJs and XJs.
High pinion are desirable obviously.

What I've been told is look for an XJ with a 4cylinder and a standard tranny?

If you find an axle with the CV style axles for cheap...the later style U-joint type axles will fit it...

Back