• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual - Power Door swap

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any write up on going from manual doors to all power for 96- models? I've looked and there is some info... but not a write up on the steps/items needed to make it work. I know you need the power doors from the donor vehicle and most likely the wiring and harness and what not... but I dunno what ALL is needed from the donor vehicle. I have a 87 Chief and would like to do this swap... but there is a lack of info on how to.... so if anyone could shed some light on how to to the swap, that would be great! Thanks in advance! :farmer:

Bdiddy11 said:
Power everything... locks + windows... I know there is power window regulators and what not...
Let me tell you everything I know to get it started here. I have wanted to do this to my 1990 forever but just have never had the nerve to actually do it. You need to get a donor vehicle or go to the junkyard. Start by pulling the fusebox away from the firewall and get the entire interior harness that runs across the floor and to the back. You also need the lock and window regulator and each of the door wiring harnesses and switches. I believe theoretically after that you can just plug the main harness into your fusebox (you'll have to add the relays and breakers and such) and you should be good to go. I think otherwise maybe you just have to find power and a couple grounds. Hopefully someone else will chime in but the reason you're not finding write-ups is because most people who offroad XJs do the opposite of what you're doing. Good luck man and if you do it, let me know please.

Thanks Renix. When you talk about plugging it in into the fusebox. Where will I plug it in? Is there a spot for it already there or what? And when you talk about putting in relays/breakers, could you specify a little more please? I'm new to this whole 'mechanical' stuff. I've never really had my 'own' vehicle to tear into it and do what I want, so never had the need to really learn this stuff. And the window regulator would be in the door right? Cuz if I do it I plan on just swapping the entire door.. I figure less trouble that way. Also, I off-road but not a whole ton... I like the option of being able to have power locks/windows due to it being easier and my windows suck... clunk and don't work right. I'm not super hard-core when It comes to off-roading due to not really living close enough to do it all the time... Just trying to upgrade my 87' the best I can so I'll want this one longer and it's in better condition. Might as well have a 20 year old Jeep with all the options right? Power window/locks,power seats,overhead console,97+ center console, eventually tinted windows,aftermarket stereo/speakers/amp/sub etc etc... I like riding in comfort when i'm out and about =) But if anyone could share anymore info on this topic, that would be great!:clap:

Funny. I want to ditch the power crap and have manual windows!!! Less weight, less stuff to go wrong. I've got all the parts, I just hate working inside door panels, it is a PITA.

1996cc said:
Funny. I want to ditch the power crap and have manual windows!!! Less weight, less stuff to go wrong. I've got all the parts, I just hate working inside door panels, it is a PITA.

Me too but I want the manual windows so when I go doorless there is less to mess with.

Back