• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can somebody tell me what these codes mean

cjovertj

NAXJA Forum User
check engine light was on so i took the cherokee to autozone to find out what was wrong. they said there were 2 codes that both were transmission control unit problems

the codes were 700 and 1781

i think it is the torque converter lock up contoller because it doesn't feel like it is locking up. i usually run about 2200 rpm doing 75mph but now im running about 2600

a week ago i broke a tranny line and had to drive it to napa and back to get the part to fix it, but i made sure i dumped some tranny fluid in it before i left so it didn't all leak out

if you could help that would be great

I've got all the FSM OBD codes I've been able to find so far up on my site - click the link in my sig, and go to the "Tech Archive." Sounds like you've got OBD-II - 1996 or later?

By the way, the four-digit codes you are listing should have the letter "P" in front of them, which identifies them as "Powertrain" codes (engine/transmission.) I seem to recall there are three or four different prefixes to OBD-II codes, depending upon the system affected.

cjovertj said:
check engine light was on so i took the cherokee to autozone to find out what was wrong. they said there were 2 codes that both were transmission control unit problems

i think it is the torque converter lock up contoller because it doesn't feel like it is locking up. i usually run about 2200 rpm doing 75mph but now im running about 2600

a week ago i broke a tranny line and had to drive it to napa and back to get the part to fix it, but i made sure i dumped some tranny fluid in it before i left so it didn't all leak out

if you could help that would be great

thanks 5-90 ya its a 97 so it has the OBD-II
i didn't see the codes i had listed but the lady didn't right the codes down until i asked her to and she wrote them down and saie "i think that was it"
so ill take it back and make sure i got the right codes

5-90 said:
I seem to recall there are three or four different prefixes to OBD-II codes, depending upon the system affected.

There are.

Pxxxx = Powertrain
Bxxxx = Body
Cxxxx = Chasis
Uxxxx = Network Codes

99XJSPORT06 said:
There are.

Pxxxx = Powertrain
Bxxxx = Body
Cxxxx = Chasis
Uxxxx = Network Codes

Thank you. I knew there were a few more than just the P-codes.

One of these days, I want to assemble ALL of the OBD-II codes in one place for ready reference. Most of the ones we'd be concerned with are the P-codes, but why not get it all, just for the sake of completion?

cjovertj, OBD-II code readers have come well within the reach of the hobbyist - there are MANY units available for under $200, and quite a few for under $100. There are also OBD-II adjuncts for PCs and PalmOS computers, so it's not like you can't find anything. Best bet? Buy your own, learn to use it (it's fairly simple,) and go forth.

An OBD-II hobbyist reader should work on any OBD-II vehicle, the data is standardised (unlike a lot of early OBD-I,) which was started by the California Air Police and there weren't a lot of standard in place. OBD-II is standardised by SAE - a P0100 should be the same on any vehicle.

5-90 said:
Thank you. I knew there were a few more than just the P-codes.

One of these days, I want to assemble ALL of the OBD-II codes in one place for ready reference. Most of the ones we'd be concerned with are the P-codes, but why not get it all, just for the sake of completion?

cjovertj, OBD-II code readers have come well within the reach of the hobbyist - there are MANY units available for under $200, and quite a few for under $100. There are also OBD-II adjuncts for PCs and PalmOS computers, so it's not like you can't find anything. Best bet? Buy your own, learn to use it (it's fairly simple,) and go forth.
You're welcome! :thumbup:

As far as the readers go, 5-90 is right, they have become VERY affordable to the average DIY person. I've seen many a reader in the $70-80 range that are very simple to use. Or, if you wanted to spend a bit more, you can get one that pulls/erases codes, as well as can give you real time data, such as TPS position, o2 sensor readings, if you're in open or closed loop mode, coolant temp, the actual speed (which is how I determined going to a 235 size tire from the 225 threw my speedo off 2mph), and a few others. And that comes in very handy for when you are in a situation like I was last month, trying to track down an intermittent TPS problem. I was able to hook it up before I began my trip, and leave it in the passenger seat running while I was driving down the highway. I would every now and then glance over at it to see the "normal" readings. When it began to spaz out, I could see the TPS measurement (measured in % on this particular scanner) going all over the place, even though I was not moving my foot.

I also have just a basic scanner that I use for when the CEL comes on, and all I have to do is plug it in, tell it to read the system, and erase the code. The whole process takes under 2 minutes.

It's amazing how much the average shop charges for them to just PULL the code. I think they get somewhere around the $70-80 for a diagnostics check.

cjovertj said:
they said there were 2 codes that both were transmission control unit problems

They most likely were;

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

P0781 1-2 Shift Malfunction

There is NO 1781 code, OBDII only goes to P0849

Hopefully it will be somthing simple and cheap like Vacuum line leak considering its the shift from 1st to 2nd, I dono. Good Luck!

I got a OBDII on ebay for $69.99 It does every

thing I need, It's model # INNOVA 3030, It

checks, reads and erases.

Check the price out here;

WWW.CanOBD2.com

OBD1 readers Cost around $300 but can be had for

around $200 I need one of those for my 93 but

can't afford one now.

Last edited:
parkeruph said:
There is NO 1781 code, OBDII only goes to P0849
OBD II in the "P" range goes as high as P1999. It's to my knowledge, that anything P1000 and over is Manufacturer specific, where as anything <P1000 are general powertrain codes

Here's a good list of what the P codes stand for.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

Definitely go back and have them read again. P1781 is (according to the link above) "4x4 Switch Out Of Range", and is listed as a Ford/Mazda code.

99XJSPORT06 said:
OBD II in the "P" range goes as high as P1999. It's to my knowledge, that anything P1000 and over is Manufacturer specific, where as anything <P1000 are general powertrain codes
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Thanks for the correction, I was going by the directory that came with my reader.

Back