• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Truss Idea

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
This seems so simple, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm planning to truss my 44 rear with some 2"x4" box tubing (1/8" wall probably). I'll run it between the spring perches on each side. I'll just remove the brake line screws, fill in the holes with my welder, weld on the truss as shown, then drill & tap new holes for the brake lines. Is there anything I'm not thinking of that will be interfered with putting the truss on top of the axle? I plan to use my Miller 175 to weld the steel to the tubes, then have a local pro weld up the rest to the cast pumpkin (pre-heating, using nickel rod, whatever works best with that). I would appreciate any comments. TIA. Picture of what I'm thinking here: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2352346100025571949cihMEG

Last edited:
I just finished a very similar project; I used 1/4" flat metal for the truss.
2” wide strap that goes from the spring perch, over the pumpkin, to spring perch. Cardboard templates helped create the sides, which were then plated with 1/4" to give the same effect as the box tubing. Avoid over heating and warping the axle, just take your time and enjoy it. You will need new brake lines (I bent my own using 3/16" line) drill a vent hole (I cut off brake bleeder 3/8"NF threads) and a couple clips to hold the lines down. Go ahead and cut off the shock mounts and relocate them higher. I will try to have pictures of it in the next few days

Good luck

Tommy

came with the axle, said "made in Taiwan" on the inside. soon it will be replaced with a stock D44 cover and a home made rock ring similar to Poison Spyder (just got a plasmacam at school)

Tommy

Tommy_Harrell said:
came with the axle, said "made in Taiwan" on the inside. soon it will be replaced with a stock D44 cover and a home made rock ring similar to Poison Spyder (just got a plasmacam at school)

Tommy

Just curious, what happened to the steel brakelines on that axle? Is there a purpose to them being "squiggly" -Tim

"Good" double flare tools cost money, so I made little bends to shorten the effective length of the line. It will be secured in at least 2 places. Might not look real fancy, but it fits well with the Lincoln Locker.

Tommy

Back