• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who knows if a ZJ front shaft is longer than a XJ?

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to put this in a separate thread. There has been discussion that a front ZJ auto drive shaft is about 1.5 inches longer than a front XJ auto drive shaft. I haven't ever measured this personally, I just have never heard this was true. I figured if it was it would be common knowledge. On the other hand I could just be ignorant.

A front XJ drive shaft from an auto measures 31.5 collapsed and 34.5 extended. Give or take a bit depending on who is measuring. Are ZJ shafts 1.5 to 2" longer than that? I knoe Explorer shafts are an inch shorter. Does anyone know? Thanks

My ZJ front shaft is about 3/8" longer than the XJ shaft I have as a spare. That being said, I'm reasonably certain it was from a 4.0, AW-4, 242 setup....not a V-8 if that makes a difference.

Well let's be clear about this. We know that front shafts from XJs with auto transmissions are an 1-1.5 inches longer that XJs with manual trannies. Some might mistake the two and compare apples to oranges. However, if a ZJ front DS from an auto is 1 or 2 inches longer than a XJ DS from an auto, then this is very useful to know. People with manual trannies could use them in back. Anyone?

Powerman said:
Well let's be clear about this. We know that front shafts from XJs with auto transmissions are an 1-1.5 inches longer that XJs with manual trannies. Some might mistake the two and compare apples to oranges. However, if a ZJ front DS from an auto is 1 or 2 inches longer than a XJ DS from an auto, then this is very useful to know. People with manual trannies could use them in back. Anyone?

I have three identical driveshafts...

Two are XJ fronts from AW4/231 equipped XJs, and the other is a ZJ front from a auto/231or 249 (I can't remember).

Identical being the key word.

All fit and work exactly the same in my XJ.

I have researched this online and found that certain ones are longer from a zj than an xj. That being said I ordered a zj front ds and it was exactly the same. I suppose the best way to do it, is to go to a junkyard and measure every zj shaft u find and take the longest one if in fact it is longer.

well, i dont know if this makes sense or not, but wouldn't a ZJ with the 5.2L V8 have a shorter front DS than a ZJ with the 4.0L? my reasoning is that since the 4.0 is a straight six, it'd be longer than the V8, and thus require a longer ds. I could be completely wrong, i have no idea whether or not the v8 is longer than the 4.0.

I d know that some of the ZJ shafts are longer. I never measured but did go through the salvage yard for AZranger and pulled one from a ZJ that was about1" longer than the XJ unit

Powerman said:

I don't know if this statement is actually true, i have a 99 sport with 4.0 and AX15 combo and my buddy has a 98 Ltd with 4.0 and AW4 combo and our crossmembers are in the identical location - exact same measurements front to rear from his rig to mine? it looks like jeep put some type of adapter plate on the front on my crossmember to allow it to be in the same location as an automatic. if indeed they are in the same locations the rear driveshaft/ft. driveshaft lengths should be the same.

im getting ready to swap in a XJ 44 in the rear along with a Tera HD SYE and hopefully an XJ front shaft....so we should know first hand.

woodkrawler said:
I don't know if this statement is actually true, i have a 99 sport with 4.0 and AX15 combo and my buddy has a 98 Ltd with 4.0 and AW4 combo and our crossmembers are in the identical location - exact same measurements front to rear from his rig to mine? it looks like jeep put some type of adapter plate on the front on my crossmember to allow it to be in the same location as an automatic. if indeed they are in the same locations the rear driveshaft/ft. driveshaft lengths should be the same.

im getting ready to swap in a XJ 44 in the rear along with a Tera HD SYE and hopefully an XJ front shaft....so we should know first hand.

crossmember location does not mean same length of DS, the mounts are different

woodkrawler said:

I know that with my setup (95 XJ w/4.0, AX15 & D44 with a hack & tap on my 242) the frontshaft from an AW4 equipped XJ is too short for the rear by about 2". I put it up on a lift with the rear hanging and the driveshaft fully extended is 2" too short.

I believe the front driveshaft from a '93-'95 5.2 ZJ is about 2" longer than the front driveshaft of an AW4 equipped XJ, so that should work as a rear driveshaft with SYE in an XJ that has the AX15 and D35.

Dr. Dyno said:
I believe the front driveshaft from a '93-'95 5.2 ZJ is about 2" longer than the front driveshaft of an AW4 equipped XJ, so that should work as a rear driveshaft with SYE in an XJ that has the AX15 and D35.

agreed..........again

Dr. Dyno said:

This would be great news. It looks like a trip to the junk yard is in order. :)

31.5 34.5 extended and collapsed from center cap to center cap on the zj shaft i used in the rear for an sye with auto and 8.25. The zj shaft is smaller in diameter than an xj shaft, dont know about wall thickness.

Ramsey said:
31.5 34.5 extended and collapsed from center cap to center cap on the zj shaft i used in the rear for an sye with auto and 8.25. The zj shaft is smaller in diameter than an xj shaft, dont know about wall thickness.

Do you know what drivetrain the ZJ had?

I believe 4.0 auto, not sure on t-case.

Back